How much do the difference between ranks matter? (1 Viewer)

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
Suppose the person ranked first is around 5% ahead of the second person in terms of marks. How will that affect the moderated internal mark for the second person? If the person ranked second does really well in the externals (like gets a mark equivalent or close to that of the first person), will this internal mark setup be overcome? Thanks in advance @jimmysmith560 could you please clarify this to me if possible?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
More gap internal = more gap for the moderated internal mark (from memory)
I think that's why my school reduced the gaps because they expected us all to do well in the HSC

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
The 5% (which is probably better expressed as an actual mark value) difference between the student ranked first and the student ranked second that you have mentioned as an example is known as a relative difference (or relative gap). As you may already be aware, the highest Assessment Mark (which will be given to the student ranked first) is adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark (i.e. the highest HSC exam mark achieved by any student in the school group). In the case of the Assessment Mark of the student ranked second, it will reflect the gap between the total school assessment mark (with "total school assessment mark" here meaning the total representing the actual marks received for school-based assessment tasks/exams) of the student ranked first and the student ranked second, which is evident as the moderation process maintains the rank order of students within the school group and the relative gaps between them.

Have a look at the following graph from NESA (containing a spelling mistake lol) which illustrates this:

Asessment Graph

In relation to your second question, the moderation process still prevails. This means that, with reference to the student ranked first, their Assessment Mark will be adjusted to equal the highest Examination Mark of any student in the school cohort. In the case of the student ranked second, their Assessment Mark will be determined by interpolation based on their rank as well as the applicable relative gaps, even if they achieve the highest Examination Mark.

I hope this helps! :D

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
suppose the person ranked first gets 94 in the externals which is the highest for that cohort. And also lets say the person ranked second gets 93, which is the second highest mark. How will this play out Jimmy @jimmysmith560? Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
suppose the person ranked first gets 94 in the externals which is the highest for that cohort. And also lets say the person ranked second gets 93, which is the second highest mark. How will this play out Jimmy?
If the student ranked first achieves the highest Examination Mark, their Assessment Mark will be made the same as their Examination Mark. In terms of how this applies to your example, the student ranked first will receive 94 as both their Assessment Mark and Examination Mark, leading to 94 as their HSC mark.

The Examination Mark of the student ranked second would in this case be 93 given that Examination Marks are not affected by a student's rank within their cohort. However, their Assessment Mark will be determined in a different manner to that of the student ranked first, as mentioned above.

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
Fair. So their internal moderated mark will always remain lower by the exact amount as before moderated (raw school internals); i.e. if the raw internals were 5% lower, then the moderated would be 5% lower as well. Sorry if I am questioning a lot. Just quite confused about this lol. But thanks so far anyways!

idkkdi

HSC
Fair. So their internal moderated mark will always remain lower by the exact amount as before moderated (raw school internals); i.e. if the raw internals were 5% lower, then the moderated would be 5% lower as well. Sorry if I am questioning a lot. Just quite confused about this lol. But thanks so far anyways!
this doesn’t seem right but I cbs reading your previous stuff

is it fair to say they use z-scores?
they probs have some actual statisticians doing this stuff. afaik it’s roughly equivalent to shoving two bell curves on top of each other

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
so basically if ur rank first the gap betwen u and second doesnt matter bc ur first and they dont care ahout the gap? whether its larger or small for u

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)