• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How much of prelim chem is relevant to hsc chem? (1 Viewer)

Sien

将来: NEET
HSC
I've heard that much of prelim chem is highly irrelevant to the hsc syllabus. What are concepts that i should know that will place in a good position for yr 12? For example moles etc. Should i just start studying the hsc course by myself now?

aanthnnyyy

HSC
know your equations, moles, concentration, enthalpy stuff, structural formulas (carbon chains), net ionic... That's all I can really recall so far. Most of the stuff is just new topics but having knowledge of prelim is helpful (not essential)

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
Knowing these from year 11:

- mole calculations
- balancing eqns
- intra and intermolecular forces
- activation energy
- redox reactions
- endothermic and exothermic reactions
- solubility rules
- hydrocarbons

Would put you in good stead.

Source: the one and only hawkrider

Silly Sausage

HSC
Most important thing is to remember your calculations - you'll need them. Other than that some of the concepts they teach you will be important later on. E.g. solubility, lewis dot diagrams, simple electrochemical reactions etc.

porcupinetree

not actually a porcupine
HSC
The chemistry concepts introduced in Prelim such as calculations, types of bonding, enthalpy, etc are relevant to HSC Chem, however, most of the non-skills based content is not relevant. As far as I can remember, the only example that breaks this rule is hydrocarbon stuff right at the end of Prelim

Simorgh

HSC
Bump. Just started studying Chem for Yr 11 trials next term and yeah kinda felt behind on the stuff.

Zoinked

Beast
HSC
Intra and intermolecular forces, hydrogen bonding, nomenclature (especially of hydrocarbons), stoichometry, polar and non polar are the immediate important things that come to mind when i compare the prelim course to the hsc course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)