How much tutoring do yall do? (1 Viewer)

HSC
As in how many tutoring classes/hours per week do you guys spend at tutoring? (Like purely in the class itself, not homework) I can't tell if I'm doing too much or too little lol

For context, I'm doing math tutoring 3 1/2 hours, english for 2 hours, and chem for 3 hours per week.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
8.5 hrs excluding tutoring hw sounds too much but that's my uneducated opinion, I never went tutoring

if you need all that tutoring then it's obviously worth the time, and if you're holding up physically/mentally and balancing all your other work then it's not too much, everyone's got different needs and limits

c_z_m

HSC
As in how many tutoring classes/hours per week do you guys spend at tutoring? (Like purely in the class itself, not homework) I can't tell if I'm doing too much or too little lol

For context, I'm doing math tutoring 3 1/2 hours, english for 2 hours, and chem for 3 hours per week.
You'll find a lot of things in life are subjective and based on personal experience, time spent on tutoring included.

A student with NO tutoring whatsoever may do exceedingly well, as with the student who spends 15 hours a week on tutoring. It's hard to say whether more tutoring hours correlates to greater success, because tutoring works differently for each individual. Including you. So evaluate the benefit of tutoring and see whether you think it is enough, rather than comparing tutoring hours with friends.

At the end of Year 11 and going into Year 12, I was doing 2 hours tutoring each for Physics and Chemistry, 3 hours each for 3U and 4U, and 1 hour for English...so 11 hours a week spent on tutoring. Would I say it was worth it? No. Was a lot of that time wasted because I got too tired? Yes. Was it too much? Definitely.

By the time Trials were happening, I was just doing 2 hours on Chemistry (gave up trying to be tutored on Physics lol), and 1 hour each for 3U and 4U. The key note was that my tutoring for 3U and 4U was private, and we just practiced trial questions which I found both helpful and time-efficient. That might be a maths-specific thing though, as Maths focuses on how well you apply, not memorise, the content. For Sciences/Humanities/English you will probably need to be revising and memoring content constantly - whether that's done through tutoring is your choice to make. Don't tag along with your friends just for the sake of doing so (though that's half the joy of tutoring, to be honest).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)