• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

how old was the oldest to sit the hsc (1 Viewer)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
some international students i believe. my friend from vietnam was 20 I THINK when he sat his hsc which was last yr.

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
simbim21 said:
ive heard of someone who was around 80. it was on the news a couple of years ago.

and yes bookie, i realised that you changed your location, now where's my medal?
Well the oldest I know of, and it might be the one you are referring to, was in his late 80s when he did the HSC via OTEN(correspondence TAFE) and that was in 03 or 04.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
simbim21 said:
ive heard of someone who was around 80. it was on the news a couple of years ago.

and yes bookie, i realised that you changed your location, now where's my medal?
80 ?! o_o whats there to live for after that? lol probably the persons last wish i guess..

sydneyphoenix

HSC
N/A
If my memory serves, and if the person in question is still around, there is a girl who will be a few months short of 21 when she sits HSC at the end of next year.
Okay, the way it works is...
She was born in first half of 1986, and if she did education properly, would have finished high school in 2004. But she came here from overseas in 2004, and enrolled in year 11 instead of year 12. (one year lost)
And then, at the beginning of 2005, she decided to repeat year 11 (two years lost)
And then when she moved school, and continued year 11.
Haven't heard from her for about a year now, and barring an almost unimaginable repeat of year 11 third time, or repeating year 12 next year, she will be like 20 years 9 month when hsc finishes.

Lexie1001

HSC
a girl in my year is 20 this year, cos she came in yr 11 from bangladesh where the education system is really weird. also i remember reading bout an 84 yr old guy doing the hsc in 2004 or so. but aren't there heaps of mature age students who do it, like 40s and 50s?

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
A guy in my year has repeated year 11 three times and now my math teacher having a bet of I think few dollars with one of my friend that he will repeat year 12 at least twice. So far, his attendance at school is less than 25%, and I don't know why he is still at school.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
XcarvengerX said:
A guy in my year has repeated year 11 three times and now my math teacher having a bet of I think few dollars with one of my friend that he will repeat year 12 at least twice. So far, his attendance at school is less than 25%, and I don't know why he is still at school.
i think his institutionalized lol

Optophobia

HSC
XcarvengerX said:
Liar.

-------
there was an 80 something year old doing the HSC a few years ago.

There are also a few parents doing it who had kids when they normally should have been doing the HSC.

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC
Why? The school do not kick him out because it's government school not private school. and while he is there, he comes first in legal studies and economics in year 11. (obviously after 3 years of year 11, but still that's not easy to do). He always went overseas because of some reasons and coming back after 3 months.:confused:

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
hopeles5ly said:
lol i don't get what's the point =/
It could be a point of pride, they just want their HSC plus they want a learning experience. Otherwise there is university entrance - while there are plenty of other (faster) pathways into uni than HSC it also allows you to get used to an academic experience again.

I'd also like the mention thats it not that unusual to get mature aged students - there are most likely a few thousand sitting the HSC each year(if you count the 20 something people) and maybe a thousand if you are only talking middle aged and older. So those 20 somethings doing the HSC aren't really a big deal. 80+ is unusual though, but not unprecedented.

RNN-A-MUK

HSC
i do my hsc at tafe and there is a dude thats like 50 sumfin doin his hsc over 5 yrs hahaha

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
XcarvengerX said:
Why? The school do not kick him out because it's government school not private school. and while he is there, he comes first in legal studies and economics in year 11. (obviously after 3 years of year 11, but still that's not easy to do). He always went overseas because of some reasons and coming back after 3 months.:confused:
i can't believe the school would allow him to go overseas so much lol.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
The youngest person to sit the HSC last year is 11 or 12 and the oldest was 70-80? It was in the sydney morning herald just before the HSC, it was a story about some asian genius at sydney technical high school he sat the science and maths sc in yr 5 and got 100.

Found the article:http://www.smh.com.au/news/national...005/10/14/1128796712348.html?from=moreStories

Move over: young brain in the fast lane
By Justin Norrie, Education Reporter
Hothousing prepubescent students is a fraught endeavour.

Consider Paul Cheung, a 12-year-old maths whiz and HSC student who reads voraciously and regards Charles Dickens as "just a bit too verbose for my liking". His parents were anxious not to stunt his social development by casting him prematurely from the playground into a joyless round of accelerated learning.

They carefully avoided out-of-school coaching and, considering his exceptional academic achievements, he has not needed it.

But when he scored 100per cent in the year 10 School Certificate mathematics exam - while in year 5 - they accepted they could no longer hold him back. "I don't feel weird around the other students - just a foot shorter. I have friends in all the years now," says Paul.

On Monday week, when the Sydney Technical High School student sits the mathematics extension 2 exam, he will be one of the youngest students to complete an HSC subject. Only two others - one 10 and the other 11, both sitting maths exams - will be younger.

Advertisement
AdvertisementFrom baby brainiacs to the 80-year-old gentleman sitting an exam in country NSW, there are 65,888 students preparing for the three-week HSC marathon starting with across-the-board English exams on Monday.

The figure is slightly down on last year's candidature of 66,279 students, a drop that the NSW Board of Studies attributes to the fact that "youth employment seems to be slightly up".

Of this year's group, 38,340 students - or roughly 60 per cent - are from public schools, and 25,897 attend private schools. Roughly 2.5per cent are at TAFE and 24 students are self-taught.

Apart from English, which is compulsory, the most popular subjects are, in order, mathematics, business studies, biology and studies of religion. Personal development, health and physical education, followed by ancient history, chemistry, modern history and physics round out the top 10.

By the time Paul has finished a few more of these for his HSC, he will be 14 - four years shy of legally drinking at a bar.

"I'd probably like to be a pure mathematician, but I don't know if that's really a career," he says.

His principal, Lynne Irvine, says: "He's a mature boy with a quirky sense of humour and he was immediately accepted."

A spokeswoman for the Board of Studies said schools had to present a "convincing argument for acceleration, including all earlier results".

The youngest student to sit a full HSC program this year is 15-year-old Emily Jones, from SCECGS Redlands, who said she "wouldn't label myself a nerd, a prodigy, any of that".

She is hoping to studying music at the Conservatorium of Music next year, followed by law: "I'll be young, so I have plenty of time to do two degrees."

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, it must be noted that many of the young/old HSC students dont actually do a full HSC (i.e 10 units). Most are accelerating or just doing individual courses etc

http://community.boredofstudies.org...nce-counsel/98386/16-year-olds-doing-hsc.html

The youngest student to sit a full HSC program this year is 15-year-old Emily Jones, from SCECGS Redlands, who said she "wouldn't label myself a nerd, a prodigy, any of that".
http://community.boredofstudies.org/members/eafj90/

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)