• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How probable is a comeback? (1 Viewer)

hackysacky

HSC
N/A
Although I have known this website for quite some time now, this is my first post, out of desperation too.
I started year 12 with the mindset of trying to achieve around 85% for every assessment task and test, but I quickly I quickly realized that that mindset was very faded; I didn't fully understand the impact of each mark on my ATAR score. So I recently received my Half Yearly results back, and frankly they are quiet disappointing:

General maths-82%
Software Design and Dev.-74%
Business Studies-70%
Industrial Technology-58%
English Standard-49%
Engineering-45%

My assessment results so far have all been between 70% to 85%. I can't quite put my finger on where I went wrong with my exams.The results shocked me enough to know that it was time to fully dedicate the remaining time revising topics that I was weak at. Assuming that from this point on I achieve around 85% in all further assessments, the Trials and the finals, what can I hope in terms of my ATAR score?

Also, I am 16 years of age, a full year below most people in my grade. Because of this, my parents are suggesting that I may want to repeat year 12 if my results are that terrible, but the thought of facing my teachers again all while watching people I know move on is very embarrassing to be honest. Any tips on whether this is a good idea if the situation presents itself?

gandalfbrah

HSC
Firstly, answering your ATAR inquiry, if you manage to ace the rest of the year with 80s in all subjects (including the external) you'd be looking at anywhere between 75-85 ATAR. For a 90+ atar you will need to really buckle down and get those 90s.
In terms of repeating a year, it depends on what course you're aiming to get into, if its something like law/medicine/commerce you may want to consider it, but for courses with a traditionally lower atar req. it may be a bit more lenient. (This is all assuming your ATAR isn't what you planned to achieve btw). Good luck, all the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Flop21

HSC
It's your rank that will mostly effect you. So try and smash last assessments to get a decent one, then you're right. You just gotta smash HSC as well.

If you keep with those marks, the <60%, those will ruin your ATAR tbh. ESPECIALLY that industrial technology mark. It's a subject that scales very low, so you need to get great marks in it to avoid hurting your ATAR a lot.

What type of industrial technology is it?? If you need help with it let me know, I did multimedia.

hackysacky

HSC
N/A
Thank you. I am doing Industrial Technology Graphics. I am also aware of how low the subject scales. Currently, my major project is coming along well. I believe I am ahead of most of my class with the exception of 2 or 3 people in terms of both quality and time. It weighs 40% and at this rate, I am confident I can pull of at least an 85%, if not more.

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
Also theoretically, couldn't you repeat at a different school?

Flop21

HSC
Yeah but the schools around him may not want him. If we're talking about public schools, your local school has to take you but out of area schools don't and will use your marks to decide if they want to let you in.

But don't think about that right now OP, I'm sure you'll do fine if you kick yourself into gear from now on.

hackysacky

HSC
N/A
Theoretically, I could, but my family and I just recently moved to the area we currently live in. This is actually the second high school I am attending. Also, the concept of repeating doesn't really appeal to me. It's just a though I had if I were ever to be stuck in such a situation.

hackysacky

HSC
N/A
Thank you all for your responses. Your words are very encouraging and have really made me kick myself and realize what could happen if I don't step it up. Thankfully I decided to consult others at this stage, while it isn't too late.

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
This is my advice: Don't spend time wasting about whether you will achieve a certain goal on an assumption that you have yet to fulfil, more practical advice-to review your study timetable and techniques to see whether you can study more efficiently, never make same mistakes twice, perhaps get a tutor for English while you are at it, you got to learn how to study smarter and more efficiently and not just work harder to maximise your chance of getting to your goals. As for whether you should repeat year 12, that's something for you to worry about after your HSC results, and really, embarrassment of repeating is nothing if you can achieve your goal in the long term-which might be much more significant-stop caring too much about what other people think, and if you really don't like the idea-then study harder for the rest of the year to ensure this situation don't happen

And before I forget, feel free to check out some of my study guides scattered all over BOS for study advice :)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Students in the grade aren't aware of their ranks yet. We are expecting our reports within this week, which should tell us our rank within our subjects.
He didn't mean the ranks of your classmates, he meant the rank of your school.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)