• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How should we choose them? (1 Viewer)

DaRanjed

I'm talking about our related texts.
What should I consider when I'm choosing them?
In what way do they have to relate to my prescribed texts?

Please help me!

J

jhakka

The first thing to consider is how does it apply to the module you're doing.
Secondly, do you like it? This is very important. If you hate the text, you won't bother learning it as well as you would if you did like it, would you?
Does it challenge the ideas presented in the module? This is always good in case you need something to compare and contrast.

Your texts don't have to relate to your prescribed text. What's the point of that? All your comments on them would be the same, then. (Yes, I'm generalising a tad.)

DaRanjed

Thanks jhakka
So I should find texts that are simply under Speculative Fiction, right? (That's the genre I'm doing).
And if there's a question, I can use them to explain points that are different to my prescribed texts?

Ok, I hope that wasn't confusing. I'm sounding dumb. :)

alika

You want texts that relate to your genre, but also your prescribed texts.
Like we've done crime fiction and the texts that have been chosen as prescribed texts all have crime as as focus but really are vehicles for another reason, the crime isnt necessiarly the main focus anymore.

So presumbly your prescribed texts will all work in the same sort of way. for your related text you want one which challengs your set genre but also realates but through your prescribed text.

The easier way of saying it is you should be able to relate your related texts back through your prescribed texts back to the concept. They need to all work together.
Hope that helps.

J

jhakka

DaRanjed said:
Thanks jhakka
So I should find texts that are simply under Speculative Fiction, right? (That's the genre I'm doing).
And if there's a question, I can use them to explain points that are different to my prescribed texts?

Ok, I hope that wasn't confusing. I'm sounding dumb. :)
The questions don't usually relate to the text, but rather the conventions behind the genre you're doing (since you're doing Spec Fic). It's good to have variety. Some that support, some that challenge. You can relate back to perscribed texts, but I suggest that you relate your texts to as many other texts you use, since in any response you want to keep your focus balanced between all texts. Don't favour one over the other (one paragraph compared to three pages).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)