• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How specific will the HSC exam be? (1 Viewer)

fakermaker

HSC
We just sat our trials and although all of the questions were familiar to me, I didn't not know enough specific information to answer them well.

For example, One of the questions was: "Explain how a scanner works".

The question was looking for specific, technical information, ie: Scanner reflects light and collects RGB information (or however it works...I'm not really sure)...

However, I didnt study much past its role as a collector of data. I found myself bullshitting for the majority of the question as well as a few other questions, but I'm pretty scared that a similar scenario might come up in the HSC.

The course is very theoretical and the textbook is like 500+ pages. Over the next month I plan on going through the text and making detailed notes of things my teacher skimmed over...How deep should I go?

Gigacube

HSC
For scanners you should probably be able to explain the process of it & use the 7 information processes to describe them too. The book is quite in-depth with the topics. You should be able to summarise what the book says about scanners and write it as a response and get full marks.

fakermaker

HSC
For scanners you should probably be able to explain the process of it & use the 7 information processes to describe them too. The book is quite in-depth with the topics. You should be able to summarise what the book says about scanners and write it as a response and get full marks.
When you say that I should be able to answer the question with the seven processes, how would I do any beside collecting?

Also, this question wasnt looking for processes, but rather the technical workings to capture an image...whats the likely hood of this question appearing in the exam?

Gigacube

HSC
You don't have to be able to use all of the 7 information processes to describe them, just be able to identify which are used in that information system.

I think it's quite unlikely that you'll get a question which asks for the technical workings as IPT doesn't go that deep into it. Check the syllabus too as you can only be examined by what is in there.

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
Students are expected to know "How does it work" for a number of devices - How in depth your response is will depend on the HSC keyword used eg Outline wouldnt require as detailed a response as Describe.
I suggest you action your plan and create those detailed notes.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe the course has changed a lot since my time but I'd be surprised if you had to write anything serious on "how does a scanner work" in the real HSC- from memory it was a lot more case study focussed when it came to extended responses.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)