How tf do you guys memorize every intricate qualitative part of this subject? (1 Viewer)

Interdice

HSC
I can understand quantitiavely. It's not too bad. But how the fuck do you guys memorize everything qualititivly.

For instance in the 2022 hsc question 21, they ask about stars. Question 21a isn't too bad. But 21b requires you to identify the elements that undergo fusion(if this is mod 8 forgive me not in my trial). I don't remember and it was probably a small keynote in my textbook. I know Y is a giant and they use Helium whereas X is main sequence so it burns Hydrogen. I only know this because I love stars and find them cool. Not because of the textbook

Question 22 is even worse.

You have to identify two parts of a transformer that make it efficent. The laminations reduce the eddy currents I think. ANd you could talk about the thickness of the copper wire also reducing eddy currents. But how tf do you guys memorize all that crap?

How do you read a textbook and memorize each and every word of it? And only an 88 percent on this exam would get you a band 6. ONe mistake and ur fucked

Interdice

HSC
I can understand quantitiavely. It's not too bad. But how the fuck do you guys memorize everything qualititivly.

For instance in the 2022 hsc question 21, they ask about stars. Question 21a isn't too bad. But 21b requires you to identify the elements that undergo fusion(if this is mod 8 forgive me not in my trial). I don't remember and it was probably a small keynote in my textbook. I know Y is a giant and they use Helium whereas X is main sequence so it burns Hydrogen. I only know this because I love stars and find them cool. Not because of the textbook

You have to identify two parts of a transformer that make it efficent. The laminations reduce the eddy currents I think. ANd you could talk about the thickness of the copper wire also reducing eddy currents. But how tf do you guys memorize all that crap?

How do you read a textbook and memorize each and every word of it? And only an 88 percent on this exam would get you a band 6. ONe mistake and ur fucked
IT's even worse for chem

yanujw

HSC

I felt the same way regarding all the little rules and tricks of information to remember in order to answer questions. You just have to look at lots of resources and do a lot of questions and you'll start to become very good at some common questions, and realise what information never shows up and isn't worth remembering. For example, the q22 you explained is actually quite a common concept among trial papers. On the other hand, I didn't bother to remember the stages of the BBT, even though it's technically in the syllabus.

Also, don't stress too much about a question here and there that leaves you stumped. I'm pretty sure I got 21b wrong last year but still got a band 6 haha. 2022 was an outlier in terms of difficulty since it was considered to be quite easy, but if this year's exam is harder then alignment will carry you accordingly.

carrotsss

HSC
Yeah it’s pretty annoying but with enough practice questions you’ll eventually remember it, it just takes time

Interdice

HSC
I felt the same way regarding all the little rules and tricks of information to remember in order to answer questions. You just have to look at lots of resources and do a lot of questions and you'll start to become very good at some common questions, and realise what information never shows up and isn't worth remembering. For example, the q22 you explained is actually quite a common concept among trial papers. On the other hand, I didn't bother to remember the stages of the BBT, even though it's technically in the syllabus.

Also, don't stress too much about a question here and there that leaves you stumped. I'm pretty sure I got 21b wrong last year but still got a band 6 haha. 2022 was an outlier in terms of difficulty since it was considered to be quite easy, but if this year's exam is harder then alignment will carry you accordingly.
I don't think 2022 was that much easier than 2021. Although it was definitely easier. 2021 had way more questions about the life story's of guys who did physics

carrotsss

HSC
I don't think 2022 was that much easier than 2021. Although it was definitely easier. 2021 had way more questions about the life story's of guys who did physics
In 2021 an 81 aligned to a band 6, in 2022 an 89 aligned to a band 6, its a pretty insane difference.

Interdice

HSC
In 2021 an 81 aligned to a band 6, in 2022 an 89 aligned to a band 6, its a pretty insane difference.
But looking at the test myself. There were more history questions in the 2021. I think the Mcs in 2022 were slightly easier. The calculations in 2022 are also piss easy. But I don't think the 2021 hsc was that much more hard.

Interdice

HSC
2013 hsc question 30. I own the excel Physics book

The diagram shows a futuristic space station designed to simulate gravity in a weightless enviroment. Explain how rotating the space station simulates gravity for the astronaut.

Answer in book:

"According to Newton's first law, every object continues in its state of rest, or uniform speed in a straight line , unless acted upon by a resultant force. In space, an astronautics experiences weightlessness, because there is nothing pushing back on his or her feet, bottom or back. Even inside a space craft(with its motor switched off) the astronaut experiences no reaction force.

However if the craft is rotating the astronaut is forced to move in a circle as well, just as a passenger inside a car is forced around by the door pushing against him or her, as the car turns a corner, INside a revolving space station that force may be experienced through the feet, bottom or back of the astronaut, and hence simulate gravity"

Answer in paper

The rotating wheel provides a centripetal force (acceleration) towards the centre. The
astronaut reacts against this force according to Newton’s 3rd Law, thus providing a simulated
gravity.

My answer

As the space station rotates, centripetal force towards the center is created. As the centripetal force is created, centrifugal force is created. centrifugal force is seemingly acted on the person, pushing them to the back of the station

Wtf is up with that essay of an answer? also WOuld my answer get 2 marks or 1? I forgot to mention Newton's laws

wizzkids

HSC
@Interdice . That essay answer was a total waste of space. I don't know why they bothered printing it.
Centrifugal force doesn't exist - it is what we call a fictitious force and you won't find it mentioned in the Physics syllabus.
The centripetal force definitely exists.
Here is a model answer:
The astronaut's body wants to travel through space in a straight line according to Newton's First Law.
The spinning space station forces the astronaut to execute uniform circular motion.
The reaction force on the astronaut's legs applies centrifugal acceleration on the astronaut.
The whole of the astronaut's body experiences an acceleration that simulates the force of gravity on Earth.

Follow the recommended method with every HSC Physics examination question:
  • Look at the marks on offer, "n".
  • Read the Question.
  • Count the number of ruled lines in the answer book.
  • Quickly plan your answer on a sheet of blank paper.
  • Make sure you include "n" good facts from the syllabus that are relevant to the question.
  • Write succinctly without restating the question, and make sure you answer all parts of the question.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)