how the HSC should be (1 Viewer)

Hallatia

HSC
I have always thought that it was unfair that how we go depends on how our marks in a subject compare to the marks of everybody else in the state in that subject. This is how I believe we should be graded, our teachers should have sto sit the exam for their respective subjects and our marks should be based on how we do compared to our teachers, so if we have useless teacher it will not reflect poorly on our grades

undalay

HSC
Only your uai is ranked; and its ranked as there are limited spots available in uni.

As for teachers taking the test; the ability of a teacher to score well in a test does not reflect their ability to teach.

As for bad teachers; its unavoidable and the best thing to do is show independence and work away by yourself.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Ranking is a relic of the old days and it's fucking stupid because in order for the ranks to have any credibility you have to ensure every student has precisely the same schooling conditions and experience which is clearly not the case... I say abolish them :D

BaCC 07~~
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Ranking is a relic of the old days and it's fucking stupid because in order for the ranks to have any credibility you have to ensure every student has precisely the same schooling conditions and experience which is clearly not the case... I say abolish them :D
Lol, in that case, why not abolish the education system while we're at it :D

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Because it's possible to educate people without needing to use rankings to asses them?

EDIT: in the sense that if you want to rank people you give them all the same thing and see who gets the best outcome, whereas nowadays we tend to be willing to accommodate varying learning styles & abilities and try to get the same outcomes for everyone, so ranking doesn't quite make sense :eek:

Last edited:

Season

HSC
While a teacher can help you get a good mark they are not the main reason why people do well. Have you noticed that genius's do well regardless of who is teaching them? what about those people who get 100, they don't all come from the same school with the same teachers, in fact they probably have multiple teachers, some good some bad.

A family friend once said to me "the teacher is only an addition to the text book" which is soo true. As long as you have a text book to learn out of there is no reason whatsoever that you should not ace it.

teachers may encourage us to do well, or be the go to person to ask if you don't understand something, but apart from that- its up to you.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
Season said:
While a teacher can help you get a good mark they are not the main reason why people do well. Have you noticed that genius's do well regardless of who is teaching them? what about those people who get 100, they don't all come from the same school with the same teachers, in fact they probably have multiple teachers, some good some bad.

A family friend once said to me "the teacher is only an addition to the text book" which is soo true. As long as you have a text book to learn out of there is no reason whatsoever that you should not ace it.

teachers may encourage us to do well, or be the go to person to ask if you don't understand something, but apart from that- its up to you.
I agree textbooks > teachers sometimes ...

BaCC 07~~
HSC
zangetsu.xo said:
iono i'm kinda screwed no matter what happens.
i panic before exams.
i procrastinate when preparing for assessments...
can't win!!
*cracks fortune cookie* "Your life will start changing for the better from now on!"

over9k

HSC
f3nr15 said:
I agree textbooks > teachers sometimes ...
i solely rely on my textbook in biology.
the AVG pass rate for the subject in my school is band 4, LMFAO.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Season said:

Teachers account for about 30% of the variation in student outcomes, all other things being equal :D

Hallatia

HSC
nichhhole said:
i'm an exam girl.

i say we should revert to old system of 100% basis on one exam
(L)!

ahh i'd be set.

I gain all my marks on exams and lose them during assessmenttts!

if you can't handle the pressure of an exam how will you handle life!

haha of course i'll be slandered with the general arguements of ' basing ur whole future one one exam' blah blah.

but i'd like it :)

that said, iprobably woudlnt like it anymore if i had a bad day thatday..
:p
I am with you, I work really well in exam conditions and I wish they were all that counted

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
nichhhole said:
i'm an exam girl.

i say we should revert to old system of 100% basis on one exam
(L)!

ahh i'd be set.

I gain all my marks on exams and lose them during assessmenttts!

if you can't handle the pressure of an exam how will you handle life!

haha of course i'll be slandered with the general arguements of ' basing ur whole future one one exam' blah blah.

but i'd like it :)

that said, iprobably woudlnt like it anymore if i had a bad day thatday..
:p
I am exactly the opposite. I gain my marks from assignments and loose a crapload in exams.

~untitled~

HSC
Strangely enough i think i actually prefer exams... I tend to loose my rankings in assessments...

Hallatia

HSC
magpam said:
its probably a common ground for all the smart people :)
tell you why, it is the teachers

but seriously thinking during exams is so much better than thinking for assessments, I will give you an example I had a society assessment on Wednesday, it was a speech, my mind was so blank when I was trying to write it that I found the essay I wrote during one of my exams and took things from it

Hallatia

HSC
magpam said:
i like essays

but i do them better when essays are part of assessments and not exams for some reason
I like essays all the time, in exams you have the adrenelin and go with it so you are able to just come up with things immediately and it is a stright thought flow, with assessments I tend to procrastinate them and often go blank but the good thing about them is that you can edit them to perfection and use research and correct quotes and you also have more time to think about them whether that is a good or bad thing

Hallatia

HSC
magpam said:
yeah thats why i dont like exams ... you need to know your stuff

btw you sound really smart :)
thanks, not really, I prefer to bulshit my way through as long as it makes sense and answers the question that is all that matters lol

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
Shrikar said:
I am exactly the opposite. I gain my marks from assignments and loose a crapload in exams.
Yup. That's me. Stupid exams. *shakes fist*

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
i absolutely detest those assessments that giveu the essay question in advance...

hateHATE hate.
all those hardworkers stay at home writing brilliant thought out essays, then rewrite, rewrite and rewrite whilst timing themselves.

order of preference:
1. spontaneous essays q.
2. speeches
3. hand up tasks.
4. prepared essay questions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)