• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How to act in an interview (1 Viewer)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Does anyone have any help advice on how to present oneself and win that job through the interview process, ive only ever had two interviews which i didnt get the job for.

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
-Eye contact, don't stare out your interviewer but keep your focus on them
-Relax, you're not fooling anyone by acting unnatural, they want to see who you really are
-Act interested in the job, don't say you just want it cos you need the money
-When they ask if you have any further questions, ask something (not the pay rate!)

^___^
HSC
you gotta be confident, but not too confident, otherwise thats cocky
i think you can relate that as to self belief (esp if you never had any job experience before)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Iv had job experience, but never had to do an interview for any of the jobs iv worked in

miss_b

still obsessed...
HSC
Ms 12 said:
-When they ask if you have any further questions, ask something (not the pay rate!)
I got asked that in the first interview i ever had and was totally not expecting it. I just ended up asking about the hours i would get. So when is a good time to ask about the pay? I always find myself already woring at a place before i find out what the pay is.

I think the most important thing is to smile and keep eye contact (especially if it's a job in retail) :)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
gloria_b said:
I got asked that in the first interview i ever had and was totally not expecting it. I just ended up asking about the hours i would get. So when is a good time to ask about the pay? I always find myself already woring at a place before i find out what the pay is.

I think the most important thing is to smile and keep eye contact (especially if it's a job in retail) :)
i like ur avatar, it from Happy Tree friends, thats some funny shit, ay

fuzzy~logic

yeah act yourself...group interviews are the worst cos you gotta make yourself stand out..so just be calm and promote your skills as much as possible

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
why cant you be honest and answer to any question "because i need money"

its the damn truth, unlike i "enjoy working tedious jobs..."

malkin86

HSC
Off the top of my head:

Don't show up drunk or smelling of smoke or with chewy.
The interview begins outside the reception area, so to speak, so take something serious to read in the waiting room.
Research the company and ask appropriate questions.
If you're offered a drink, don't make a difficult choice.
Be prepared for dumb "personality" questions - "Why is the best shape for a manhole round?", "Why are you applying for the job?"
Written CV with minimum details and relevant qualifications - eg. First Aid certificates. If you're sending it off to the place, write a cover letter to introduce yourself.
At the end, say thankyou and shake hands.

Malazn Pleasure

External Auditor
HSC
i hv had 4 interviews in my life time and they were all related to cadetships with large accounting firms.

i hav got offerred all 4 jobs as well.

elisabeth

HSC
I don't think there's anything wrong with money related - but don't give the impression of being frivolous.

"Why do you want this job?"
"It seems like a nice env, [insert next bs-y reason here] and I'm saving for university"

not:
"Yeah, I need money, I want an iPod and those hot jeans I saw in supre last night!"

I don't know if this is any good, but I always wear a watch to interviews... makes you appear more punctual (obviously only works by confirming this perception of you when you turn up on time).

Also, Korn - what job are you after? Something full time & permanent or casual? Because the interview processes obviously vary a lot. I've only ever had experience with casual ones, and they were pretty informal and short.

Last edited:

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
smile....

eye contact

in group interviews if ur natural comedian, use it!

know background info on company

prepare answers to likely questions

practise in mirror... or try public speaking / debating. I did it for 3 years and it really helps communicating ur ideas and thoughts. eg;
Me at Group Interview

Why do u want to work for __________

Me; "Because i like music and i have effective communication skills, i would like to expand my horizons to retail and im sure _______ would do this for me!"

Some guy: "Because..im like..into music *hand over mouth* umm...i follow the charts and know the good songs and stuff"

Guess who got the job.......

try and create logical structured answers

dress/appearance

if all else fails..........bullshit

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)