• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how to be a 747 pilot (1 Viewer)

bigboyjames

Banned
HSC
i dont want some crazy description of what subjects one has to do in year 12.

just the basics.

uni- what UAI? air force? pilot school?

thank you

X

xeuyrawp

Exclusively 747s? Why do other aeroplanes not suit you? I assume you mean passengers, as well?

I don't think there's anything tricky about becoming a pilot with one of the passenger companies outside of what they say on their website. All the relevant websites seem pretty straightforward? :confused:

Edit: Just to be clear, most of the airlines have a page like this. I'm sure big freight companies have got the same for their pilots, as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

jessi90

HSC
bigboyjames said:
i dont want some crazy description of what subjects one has to do in year 12.

just the basics.

uni- what UAI? air force? pilot school?

thank you

oh noes terrorist!

Sew2289

HSC
For 747, you need to finish high school, attend a flight school and on the side (or at anytime), earn a degree in something at uni, does not have to be aviation related in order to fall back on something incase you don't make it in the aviation field. It would be good to have maths and physics up your sleeve in year 12 although airlines are more interested i uni degrees and flight experience. If you choose to go Air Force, I'm sure you need Maths and Physics to qualify although there may be ways around it. It will take years and thousands of hours to work your way up the aviaiton ladder to the big planes, it's all about seniorority within your airline and years of experience that will get you to where you want to be.

Triple777ER

Vamos Rojas
HSC
My uncle is a 747-400F captain with Cargolux.
You need to get an impressive mark in high school to stand out in the competition.
If you want to get on with your career straight away, you apply for Cadetship, Qantas, Etihad, CX, etc. It will take a lot of time and patience to get to the seniority of becoming a 747 pilot. Until then, you will start off with turboprops, then advance to medium-bodies.

If you want to try air-force, you can but you have to serve with them for around 11.5years(i think). Even after that, you won't be guaranteed a 747 position, but you will be recognized more.

doink

Clone
HSC
Most pilots come from Army, RAF reserve other way is aero engineering degree than flight school.

spence

HSC
my brother is a pilot, just flying small planes atm, but plans to fly 747s and such in the future. he didn't go to uni, but went to basair, a flight college in bankstown. he then got a job with them as an instructor, and just got a new job in cairns

Evilo

HSC
If you become a Pilot of the Army/AirForce etc i'm pretty sure you are signed up for a 10 year contract. However, yes you will get all expenses paid flight training (provided you can pass the tests and medical*).

*From what i understand you need 20/20 vision too.

Remember at the end of the day there are heaps of people going for it, and you need to have the aptitude and the passion to fly. If you're doing it for percieved wealth/only because family does it etc - then you're probably going to fail.

HSC
if u wanna fly fixed wing aircraft u will have to go the navy or airforce as the army only have rotary wing aircraft. and you will wanna be pretty darn good to get through. heres some numbers we got quoted (only a guide)

per year for pilot in the adf:
10000 apply
5000 do flight screening
500 make interview
300 are recommended
the place at tamworth has a list and once or maybe twice a year they take in the top 150.

of that 150 about 30 will pass the whole thing
1 in that 30 get to fly an FA/18
the rest fly what they are told to (hercules etc.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)