• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How to do very well in HSC Mathematics exams when your results don't reflect effort (1 Viewer)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
Hi,
Having a dilemma
I got back my first HSC Mathematics exam back. I got 74 % (it was out of 35) which is the class average (excluding extension kids). It's not too bad if you put an average amount of effort, however I was so disappointed because I put in so so so much effort. The test was on series and sequences and geometry. I knew my formulas inside out, did past papers, woke up like at basically 5.30 on the weekends to study and did heaps of practice questions and my result was very average. In the yearly exam for year 11 I got 61 % and I studied really hard, did past papers, questions everything! This worries me because in more tests to come with heavier weighting I will try really hard and I'm afraid all that effort won't add up. Plus this test was very easy compared to the yearly exam and the subsequent maths test in the hsc year will be harder.

I feel that I do the correct process for studying for a maths exam: understanding content, doing Cambridge questions, practicing hard but it doesn't get results. Usually I'm below average and this isn't even in comparison to the extension kids who we get ranked with.
My parents won't get me a tutor because they feel its unnecessary as my mum says she can help/ teach me.
I'm not really sure what to do:
I'm finding the main problem is that there are hard questions I just can't figure out or don't have the logic for. Everyone tells me maths is the easiest subject to master because its not subjective and its quite black and white, its not like English which is unpredictable.

Do any of you have tips on how to study!! Due to my low marks I feel really demotivated because I put in double or triple the amount of effort in every subsequent test. Heeelppp!! sorry for long postie

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Re: How to do very well in HSC Mathematics exams when your results don't reflect effo

After doing the past papers and even receiving your assessments back, did you recognise your critical flaws? Because from what you have provided, you mention you know the content, so I'm struggling to see how things went how they did

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
Re: How to do very well in HSC Mathematics exams when your results don't reflect effo

it was more about, not figuring out how to answer the question :(

photastic

HSC

You show signs of not understanding the concepts and principles behind the topics. I suggest you ask your teacher or tutor how to approach questions. If not, analyse the examples your teacher provides or even textbooks like cambridge outline steps of approaching questions.

Love your efforts but you need to re tweak your studying. Maths isnt about doing problems, its understanding why you are approaching them and where your solution is heading to.

integral95

HSC

So essentially it's the problem solving type questions that you struggle with.

FrankXie

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad

doing plenty of practice questions helps to consolidate formulas, concepts and ideas. but you need to summarise all by yourself, like once you study a new formula or a new approach, do you hightlight it and write some notes on it? make sure you can apply the ideas and approaches you learned to solve new questions. so what i mean is analysing and applying is critical to achieve higher standard maths

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)