• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How to find 'Techniques' within a novel? (2 Viewers)

salliann

HSC
How do i find techniques within a novel, as the whole thing is so vast? Such as Pride & Pred, how do you find techniques/what are some techniques in the novel.

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A
Sit and think about a few of the major events/themes in the novel for a minute and see if you can come up with related techniques. It may be worthwhile to go back and reread those sections of the book. If you feel more is needed, give the whole book another read, noting down the techniques you think are of substantial worth/significance and can be put to use in the future.

Pick out the techniques that are linked to major points or at least are emblematic of some further connection which can be established. You only need those since including techniques for minor points is superfluous and unnecessary because they are most likely not going to be put to use anyway and if they are used they may be of no help for your argument if not detrimental (for lack of strong related material).

So essentially isolate techniques which resonate with large points and you feel will be useful in establishing a cogent case.

HSC
Ok seems like you are stuck on techniques but I'm sure you are spotting out techniques without really knowing it
This is how you know and the things to ask yourself:
-phrases that STAND OUT and you get a hunch
-phrases where they are never used in real life, but only to emphasise something
-do they (words or phrases) make you imagine, visualise, hear, etc
-are the phrases not to be taken seriously?
-they are not normal?
-do they have an interesting component that makes that phrase unique?

so now you have your phrases/ words that seem different = may have multiple techniques
next is to familiarise yourself with literary techniques out there by checking: Absolutezero's The Complete Literary Technique List and http://literary-devices.com/

salliann

HSC
Well, sorry. I am only new to the site and I wasn't sure how to find my thread again. Also I have honestly never been taught this and I am just asking for some assistance. I don't know why you deemed your input necessary, but thank you for the advice.

(this is for sy37)

Thank you everyone else for your assistance

HSC
Well, sorry. I am only new to the site and I wasn't sure how to find my thread again. Also I have honestly never been taught this and I am just asking for some assistance. I don't know why you deemed your input necessary, but thank you for the advice.

(this is for sy37)

Glad to help!

watermelondayo

HSC
N/A

(this is for sy37)

No worries c:

If you ever have any other questions feel free to ask!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)