How To Get Band 6 In ESL (1 Viewer)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Here is a list which will (hopefully) help ESL students to gain the best possible mark in the exams:

To all ex-ESL students, please contribute to this thread if you have some great ideas for achieving a band 6 (90+).

1. Go to the Study day which is offered by the UTS and Ashfield Boys from each year (I think). It is a great way to take a sneak peek to what is in the exam believe it or not! The notes are also useful in many ways.

Ask your ESL teachers for more information.

2. Whenever you watch TV programs, pay careful attention to language features (e.g. Formal/Informal/Colloquial languages and slang) , as well as language techniques (e.g. tone, emotive/persuasive languages...) the composer is using. This will improve your listen skills tremendously and thus, benefiting and preparing you as you undertake the Listen Exam.

Last edited:

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Survivor39 said:
Here is a list which will (hopefully) help ESL students to gain the best possible mark in the exams:

To all ex-ESL students, please contribute to this thread if you have some great ideas for achieving a band 6 (90+).

1. Go to the Study day which is offered by the UTS and Ashfield Boys from each year (I think). It is a great way to take a sneak peek to what is in the exam believe it or not! The notes are also useful in many ways.

Ask your ESL teachers for more information.

2. Whenever you watch TV programs, pay careful attention to language features (e.g. Formal/Informal/Colloquial languages and slang) , as well as language techniques (e.g. tone, emotive/persuasive languages...) the composer is using. This will improve your listen skills tremendously and thus, benefiting and preparing you as you undertake the Listen Exam.
I thought you can't get band 6 in English if you did standard...ESL is asking for the impossible

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
In 2003 HSC, 2% of the candidates in English (ESL) recieved band 6. The highest mark was 96.
In standard English, one candidate receive a mark of 90 in the HSC.

Tuna

HSC
N/A
Survivor39 said:
In 2003 HSC, 2% of the candidates in English (ESL) recieved band 6. The highest mark was 96.
In standard English, one candidate receive a mark of 90 in the HSC.
So I can just do ESL even if I'm good at English...I know what you're going to say people who live in Aus more than five years can't... Well someone is doing it and isn't cheating? Where did you get this information from? So I could drop out my current school, go to a crap school and tell them that I want to do ESL...they might let me who knows? But this system is failing if that is going to happen.

rckl

HSC
Tuna said:
So I can just do ESL even if I'm good at English...I know what you're going to say people who live in Aus more than five years can't... Well someone is doing it and isn't cheating? Where did you get this information from? So I could drop out my current school, go to a crap school and tell them that I want to do ESL...they might let me who knows? But this system is failing if that is going to happen.
Dude, you need to have evidance to prove that you came to australia less than 5 years...

It is impossible to do ESL if you are born in Australia, unless you are Torres Strait Islander or whatever....

someone tell me if i am wrong.. because i read it from an inforomation booklet before

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
rckl is right. You can't just go to a "crap" school and do ESL and they'll just let you....That's ridiculus!

oheaveno

HSC
never knew

is it DAT hard 2 get a band 6??! omg~i fort it would be ezy....T^T
btw ya u need 2 prove dat u haf been in australia for less den 5 yrs, but it dusnt matter if u were born in australia...u cant still do it

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
oheaveno said:
is it DAT hard 2 get a band 6??! omg~i fort it would be ezy....T^T
btw ya u need 2 prove dat u haf been in australia for less den 5 yrs, but it dusnt matter if u were born in australia...u cant still do it
well, the stats speak for themselves...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)