• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how to get better at inequalities (2 Viewers)

kkk579

hello
HSC
i feel like inequalities in mx2, besides the common qs which pop up everywhere is so reliant whether u get lucky and are able to "see things". i feel like most of the time im just guessing and doing some random algebra manipulation to see whether i can get the answer. how to improve?

cafsrank1

HSC
N/A
i feel like inequalities in mx2, besides the common qs which pop up everywhere is so reliant whether u get lucky and are able to "see things". i feel like most of the time im just guessing and doing some random algebra manipulation to see whether i can get the answer. how to improve?
do more questions

WeiWeiMan

HSC
work through NSB booklet

fluffchuck

HSC
Uni Grad
Intuition comes from:
  1. Understanding all of the tricks and techniques
  2. Being able to identify which trick & technique to use for a particular question
I would be practicing with an assortment of simple inequalities questions, and begin identifying what trick/technique you're using for each question (point 1). From here, do as many exam-styled questions as possible, which will allow you to train point 2.

WeiWeiMan

HSC
ngl, don’t waste all your time on inequalities cuz it’s such a small part of the syllabus. Only go through booklet if you rly feel like it

kkk579

hello
HSC
ngl, don’t waste all your time on inequalities cuz it’s such a small part of the syllabus. Only go through booklet if you rly feel like it
Yeah makes sense but i havent started y12 at school and we have only done complex and still on proofs in tutor so i got time

fluffchuck

HSC
Uni Grad
I would still spend time on it - I don't think inequalities is a small part of the syllabus. Inequalities appears in Mathematical Induction & as standalone Inequalities proof questions, and can also appear in parts of questions from other topics.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
A very useful skill to develop is being able to stop and think through how a potential method would lead you without wasting time writing it all out.

If you need to prove X and are considering approach A, can you mentally walkthrough the steps and predict where it would lead you? If you can forsee that there is a high chance it will lead to a dead end without writing any working in full then that saves you precious exam time from being wasted. A lot of people waste time by just jumping into writing out whatever comes first in their head.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)