How to get better at last few questions in 4u Maths (1 Viewer)

dhwanit2005

HSC
Hi,

I am doing past papers for 4u, and I cannot seem to break the 80 mark, i usually get ~8 for MC, and full marks until Q14, and then after that 15 is alright, and 16 I barely get any marks, if not scraping a few marks for relevant steps. How do i get better at the last few questions, are there any resources/practice i should do to get better at these?

Thanks in advance!

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hi,

I am doing past papers for 4u, and I cannot seem to break the 80 mark, i usually get ~8 for MC, and full marks until Q14, and then after that 15 is alright, and 16 I barely get any marks, if not scraping a few marks for relevant steps. How do i get better at the last few questions, are there any resources/practice i should do to get better at these?

Thanks in advance!
You gotta try analyse the solutions and improve your thought process/problem solving skills - e.g. to see what potential info in the question could've lead to the required method, what could you try think about next time, etc

Also understanding the fundamentals helps a lot. People preach a lot about only doing past papers but make sure you also understand the actual maths concepts or as soon as a new question pops up it's doomed.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
Honestly one of your issues could even be time management - maybe you need to give yourself even more time for Q15/16 given that you can easily do 11-14. Those questions take time and you need to be able to have time to think about them.
Also a tip, maybe when reading the paper during reading time, go from the back towards Q1, that way you see the hard stuff an automatically start internally solving them... Apparently that works sometimes?

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Best tip is just see volume of questions, you could even go reading through hard questions and their solutions - also keep track of hard questions, make a doc with them and try them again a few days after you first see them (to practice the workflow of those said hard questions). You could even try find a pattern in the specific topic that is difficult (E.g., for me I find hard proof and vector questions quite difficult, but integration is often straight forward) and then practice that more than others.

Or, if you're pressed for time and constantly get close to full marks on 11-14, just practice q15-16 - give yourself an hour or an hour and a half and do the hard stuff, don't waste time on things you know!

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Or, if you're pressed for time and constantly get close to full marks on 11-14, just practice q15-16 - give yourself an hour or an hour and a half and do the hard stuff, don't waste time on things you know!
I even recommend skimming through a paper and then just doing the questions you feel slightly unsure about in q11-14, if you're worried, then focussing on q15-16

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Main idea is that q15-16 is hard, and the only way to get over those problems are either a) having seen their solutions before, or b) being able to see the logic behind one question and apply it to another (this is the goal btw)

Remember that 80 is still good - you're at a solid place regardless

synthesisFR

しゃけ
HSC
Hi,

Thanks in advance!
Just get good

if your getting the question wrong just get them right smh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)