How to get better at maths (1 Viewer)

mewtwo12

HSC
I am in year 11 atm and I used to be good at maths until I got to high school and now I haven't gotten an A since ( Idk how I fell off so bad)

I have tried redoing the entire textbook/chapters before the exam but I still am not getting good results ( got a High C in Term 1 ).
I currently do adv maths but my school doesnt have standard maths so I cannot drop down.

Do you guys have any tips on getting better at the subjects and yes I have done past papers in the past but for some reason in examinations I just can't apply the concepts/theory learnt in class.

funnytomato

HSC
Doing textbook chapters or past paper is not the goal but improving your understanding and proficiency is (e.g. for any question do you really know the rationale behind it so you can adapt to different variations of it, and for a standard textbook level question are you spending more than the expected time on it etc). So the key thing is to identify where the gaps are and AFTER building a solid understanding commit to practising it.

If you have not performed too well since high school chances are that there would be some knowledge gap or debt to catch up on. Hypothetically as an example it is one thing you know the quadratic formula but when using it you would need to know how to simplify surds which the teacher may assume everyone is familiar with. Or even some people in late high school years still struggle with long division and multiplication or fraction or negative arithmetic. The various gaps in the foundation knowledge keep building up to affect both the theoretical understanding and also of course exam performance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)