• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to get good at math? (1 Viewer)

iane

HSC
Hi guys,

I have done two tests for year 11 maths extension, and the results are not quite ideal. However I really want to do good for extension math and wish to continue to pursue it in year 12. I was wondering for ways to get good at maths. People have been telling me that maths is essentially pattern recognition, so to be good at math you just do as many questions as possible to see all of the possible scenarios. btw is there any recommendations of websites that have lots of practice questions, there is some websites I know such as thsc and mad as maths.

Is there any other ways to get good at maths?

Thanks

iloveeggs

HSC
yeah math is mainly practice and understanding. just spammign questions will help but also understanding proof, how things were derived and came to be will help you answer tougher questions that you've never seen before.

you can get free pdfs of cambridge textbooks online with answers and all that. could def use those.

wollongong warrior

HSC
People have been telling me that maths is essentially pattern recognition
Pattern recognition happens when you understand a concept and apply it enough to the point where you can just "see" how to solve a certain type of question
People who say that maths is literally just pattern recognition are rote learning it and will severely regret doing so later on

iloveeggs

HSC
Pattern recognition happens when you understand a concept and apply it enough to the point where you can just "see" how to solve a certain type of question
People who say that maths is literally just pattern recognition are rote learning it and will severely regret doing so later on
yup you cannot rote learn math this aint english

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)