How to improve in maths!? TIPS? (2 Viewers)

sss77s

HSC
So I've decided that I want to do maths ext 1 as one of my subjects next year, but the thing is I suck at it. I can do simple stuff, but as soon as the question needs problem solving, or the answer isn't straight forward, I freeze and don't know what to do.

Does anyone have any tips on how to study for maths exams, how to solve word problems easily, grasp new concepts faster,how to improve in general?
All tips appreciated, thanks!

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Break the question down into smaller bits and if you still can't get it then ask someone for help

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
what I do is write notes for my exams for the general idea of how to do questions, include examples. they shouldn't be long af notes, just simple equations and stuff.

after that, just keep doing questions related to the exam you're doing. if you don't understand, look at hsc solutions and try to comprehend working, or start back from the basics and make sure you understand how to do them as well as more complex problems.

For word problems, you might want to list out the information thats been given to you. 3D Trig was one of the most confusing to draw to me, but draw out the shape and try to get a general idea of where the measurements are etc.
e.g. if you have a speed/distance problem, list out the distance and speed as it is given to you.

grasping new concepts faster can be done by reading topics from different sources i.e. internet, textbook, notes, so that you eventually find an explanation which you can understand, then through that, cultivate your knowledge by reading more complex stuff and attempting to understand it.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
How do you self learn maths, especially 3U and 4U (they say you can't self learn 4U)?

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
sss77s

Come to me. I can help you. But if you don't have an aptitude for maths, I won't make much difference. It is not a bad idea to start learning MX1 now, when you are in year 10, to give yourself a headstart.

Tips: How do you study for maths? Make sure you understand the underlying theory. Back this up by doing lots of basic exercises. When you have done this, do progressively harder questions. Whilst mastering the hows is important, mastering the whys is even more so.

Last edited:

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
Do as many questions as possible, go from a variety of textbooks, get a tutor, immerse yourself by watching youtube videos of past papers/theory/miscellaneous questions, the good students will even source textbooks from outside the scope of HSC syllabus

Last edited:

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
Do more questions.
Not a good tip. Need to be more specific and elaborate.
How do you self learn maths, especially 3U and 4U (they say you can't self learn 4U)?
Who says you can't self-learn 4U? Why do they think that? Do you believe them?
Immersion
This is a very interesting response. Once you are immersed in mathematics, you begin to see it's beauty not easily seen by an average eye.
sss77s

Come to me. I can help you. But if you don't have an aptitude for maths, I won't make much difference. It is not a bad idea to start learning MX1 now, when you are in year 10, to give yourself a head start.

Tips: How do you study for maths? Make sure you understand the underlying theory. Back this up by doing lots of basic exercises. When you have done this, do progressively harder questions. Whilst mastering the hows is important, mastering the whys is even more so.
Why say this? Do you believe that it is impossible to help someone who are inept in math? That just ruins your approachability for weaker students...

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
I happen to believe some people just find maths beyond them. There are many 'experts' who believe everyone can be helped to master maths. Maybe they can do it; but I certainly can't. In 'saying this', I am not doing myself any favours. I just happen to believe there are those who can be helped and those I am not talented enough to help. Maybe you can help anyone who is inept in maths; I don't have that talent.

I believe there are those who can do maths (Physics, chemistry etc) and those who can't, however hard they try. Among those that can, we will find a group who are struggling for a variety of reasons: poor teaching, fooling around in their earlier years and not keeping up or not taking their class work seriously (unlike the 'bad old days', where you cannot move up a class without satisfactorily completed the work for the year, nowadays, you can reach Yr 12 without having to pass any exams), being a late starter or late developer. This group can be helped, because they have the latent ability for maths.

PS
Why do you think the 'top' maths coaching centres have a screening process? Why do you think they weed out some students?

Last edited:

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Not a good tip. Need to be more specific and elaborate.

Who says you can't self-learn 4U? Why do they think that? Do you believe them?

This is a very interesting response. Once you are immersed in mathematics, you begin to see it's beauty not easily seen by an average eye.

Why say this? Do you believe that it is impossible to help someone who are inept in math? That just ruins your approachability for weaker students...
Well ppl say 4U's hard to self learn coz "apparently" most of 4U's about "critical thinking" and this is hard to develop on your own

You need to know your basic maths or else your fked

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
I happen to believe some people just find maths beyond them. There are many 'experts' who believe everyone can be helped to master maths. Maybe they can do it; but I certainly can't. In 'saying this', I am not doing myself any favours. I just happen to believe there are those who can be helped and those I am not talented enough to help. Maybe you can help anyone who is inept in maths; I don't have that talent.

I believe there are those who can do maths (Physics, chemistry etc) and those who can't, however hard they try. Among those that can, we will find a group who are struggling for a variety of reasons: poor teaching, fooling around in their earlier years and not keeping up or not taking their class work seriously (unlike the 'bad old days', where you cannot move up a class without satisfactorily completed the work for the year, nowadays, you can reach Yr 12 without having to pass any exams), being a late starter or late developer.
I think that's becoz they've got situations affecting their education, however this doesn't mean their HSC is done for. They can seek extra support (kids helpline) or they can learn to be resilient (hard at first) and move on and concentrate on their studies from there on

That's why it's important for people to start maths tutoring from year 7 IMO because a lot of concepts is built up year to year and without knowing these concepts, they won't succeed the HSC. It would be an embarrassment to be in year 12 doing 2 unit maths and not know how to factorise algebra which should've been done in year 8/9 (don't remember which year it was)

Drongoski, may I ask but what is the issue with your students and how they can't seem to comprehend maths?

P.S.They should be more strict on the maths curriculum from year 7 to year 10 whether or not these are "serious" years and get rid of general maths (apparently general maths is not even "real" maths) because that's what's making our maths kids not as smart (and giving formula sheets in exams). If the board of studies implemented this idea, I'm assuming that Australia would be in the top 10 countries for maths in the world but there are some idiots who don't bother to take their education seriously and in turn, "drags" the others down (not in terms of HSC scaling but in term of a cohort overall performance)

Nailgun

Cole World
HSC
I think that's becoz they've got situations affecting their education, however this doesn't mean their HSC is done for. They can seek extra support (kids helpline) or they can learn to be resilient (hard at first) and move on and concentrate on their studies from there on

That's why it's important for people to start maths tutoring from year 7 IMO because a lot of concepts is built up year to year and without knowing these concepts, they won't succeed the HSC. It would be an embarrassment to be in year 12 doing 2 unit maths and not know how to factorise algebra which should've been done in year 8/9 (don't remember which year it was)

Drongoski, may I ask but what is the issue with your students and how they can't seem to comprehend maths?

P.S.They should be more strict on the maths curriculum from year 7 to year 10 whether or not these are "serious" years and get rid of general maths (apparently general maths is not even "real" maths) because that's what's making our maths kids not as smart (and giving formula sheets in exams). If the board of studies implemented this idea, I'm assuming that Australia would be in the top 10 countries for maths in the world but there are some idiots who don't bother to take their education seriously and in turn, "drags" the others down (not in terms of HSC scaling but in term of a cohort overall performance)
wat

Silky_Smooth

HSC
I agree with Nailgun. Starting maths tutoring from year 7 is ridiculous, the content is so simple that if you want to succeed then you will.

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
Well ppl say 4U's hard to self learn coz "apparently" most of 4U's about "critical thinking" and this is hard to develop on your own

You need to know your basic maths or else your fked
Now you say 4U can be self-learnt.

I agree with Nailgun. Starting maths tutoring from year 7 is ridiculous, the content is so simple that if you want to succeed then you will.
Bold assumption.

eyeseeyou

HSC
N/A
Yeah but heaps of parents force their kids to do it. Also good point because there's literally no new theory (unless it's year 9 trigonometry and year 10 topics)

parad0xica

HSC
N/A

What kind of situations affecting their education?

Not everyone needs to be tutored from year 7. A subset of the population can breeze through it.

What do you mean by "making our maths kids not as smart"? Being smart is broad

parad0xica

HSC
N/A
Not exactly but if you self learnt it, it would be hard and for me that'd be literally impossible
"Well ppl say 4U's hard to self learn" implies that 4U can be self-learnt but difficult for the general population.

If you believe it's literally impossible for yourself, then you will never know your true potential.

Yeah but heaps of parents force their kids to do it. Also good point because there's literally no new theory (unless it's year 9 trigonometry and year 10 topics)
Do you know why parents force their kids to do it?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)