HOW TO INCORPORATE EXTRACTS PAPER 2 (1 Viewer)

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
are we meant to literally write a fresh seperate mini paragraph??? (this is for mod a / b, c is fine you just continue the stim or incorporate it)

help

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
are we meant to literally write a fresh seperate mini paragraph??? (this is for mod a / b, c is fine you just continue the stim or incorporate it)

help
If the q is just to make reference to extract (not how the extract represents smth) then u just swap out a quote from each para with smth from the extract

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
wat about poetry like if its from one poem and ur paras are poem based?
as someone who does poems (mod a) then I'd just adjust ur topic sentences

cos for both mod a mod b ur not meant to preface each topic sentence with a poem cos that doesn't show u acknowledge the poems as one complete text (which is why 2+ poems per para is recommended)

so in the topic sentence just show the ideas without the [this poem shows] bit and then swap a quote out with one from extract

Last edited:

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
If the q is just to make reference to extract (not how the extract represents smth) then u just swap out a quote from each para with smth from the extract
yeah what if it's mod b and we need to do like rhapsody but ive prepared prufrock/hollow men/magi - do i just reference rhapsody throughout and analyse the extract at the start of the essay ????

qldbulls

HSC
How would you incorporate it if it was "how the extract represents"? Would you have to explicitly mention it and how it relates to what it represents?

qldbulls

HSC
How would you incorporate it if it was "how the extract represents"? Would you have to explicitly mention it and how it relates to what it represents?
Like "the extract evokes... through (quote)"?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
yeah what if it's mod b and we need to do like rhapsody but ive prepared prufrock/hollow men/magi - do i just reference rhapsody throughout and analyse the extract at the start of the essay ????
if it's question + make reference to the extract there's no need to analyse the extract in the intro, just swap out a quote in each of ur paragraphs with a quote from the excerpt and acknowledge that it's from an extract
if your paragraphs start with [name of specific poem] does this... then change it to Eliot's work does this so it's not clunky when you write more than one poem in the paragraph

if it's a q like 'how does the excerpt show this' then u have to integrate and kinda analyse the extract in the intro

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
if it's question + make reference to the extract there's no need to analyse the extract in the intro, just swap out a quote in each of ur paragraphs with a quote from the excerpt and acknowledge that it's from an extract
if your paragraphs start with [name of specific poem] does this... then change it to Eliot's work does this so it's not clunky when you write more than one poem in the paragraph

if it's a q like 'how does the excerpt show this' then u have to integrate and kinda analyse the extract in the intro
ew

tbh mod b is the nicest to have an extract in lol

qldbulls

HSC

Would it be like a "summary" analysis of extract in the intro then your detailed analysis with other evidence throughout body?

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
basically yeah you'd have to integrate quotes from the extract and acknowledge they represent the wider concerns of the text. it's the q for mod b in the 2020 hsc, my school made us write a whole practice essay on it for feedback and basically my thesis is:

The above excerpt encapsulates the development of a [insert quote from excerpt here], through [my idea], echoing the wider concerns of [my text and my idea].

My topic sentence was something like: Through [my idea], [author] reflects on [giving context background for the excerpt and including excerpt quote], to express [my idea]
(if you'd want to read the full essay to get a grasp of what's going on then dm me but basically yeah)

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
Would it be like a "summary" analysis of extract in the intro then your detailed analysis with other evidence throughout body?
kind of but not really basically u state what the meaning of the excerpt is and how it reflects wider concerns of the text. in the q 'how the excerpt does it' u don't need to use it as an example (ie. swap out ur quotes with quotes from the excerpt) but rather quote the relevant bits that highlight a specific idea in the topic sentence

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)