• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How to not study for maths advanced and extension for those who are struggling like me (1 Viewer)

sool

HSC
Currently I always dedicate at least a hour per day to study maths and some more as the test day approaches. Now there was a flaw in my way of studying, even though I worked my ass off for this, I didn't get the result I wanted (30/40 for calculus last term). Trig (math extension) I got 21/35 with the same strat but it's funny because everyone else in my class did bad except for some outliers.

The Calculus test hit me with the reality check because I was only memorising the formulas and not really grasping the logic behind. I memorised how to answer some questions, but I couldn't tackle the questions on the test I've never seen before. Also, I was unusually anxious during the test but super overconfident throughout. Perhaps that had cost me the little mistakes, because it's almost as if my ego had blinded me in tandem with that trembling pen (for trig I already knew I was gonna get garbage)

Yeah, no, I didn't do good.

And now here I am, facing setbacks in my current topic... probability, specifically permutations and combinations. I'm doing a bit better now as I'm practicing back and fourth, whipping my brain to think "logically" instead of memorising. Which reminds me, I've never really thinked "logically" in maths throughout my entire life. And it takes to be a real smartass to think logically.

It takes practice and plenty of time to get used it.

I used to do garbage with my English Essays as well in my year 10 and stuff... If I could recall, I got 12/15 then 11/15. It was only because I didn't have an evaluation. I didn't think for an evaluation. Now I am doing exceptionally well in English thanks to some painful tutoring from my sis, but I won't go into too much detail because right now I need to be more efficient in that area.

And Economics. Conceptual thinking, blah blah blah. Okay. I understand. Please structure your responses for any HSIE subjects, and pay extra extra attention if you're doing Economics. Business studies is definitely way more easier than Economics and I see it as Economic's little brother but honestly don't underestimate it.

Don't underestimate anything in life.

And honestly my advice is:

TLDR: Please don't be like me, purely memorising formulas when it comes to dealing with Math. You will die, and you will suffer like me as I go to catch myself up for prelims. Also don't be too overconfident unless you're 100% sure that you did good or you'd be devastated to find out you would get complete ass. So a note for me is to spend that extra time to thoroughly understand mathematical concepts.

I will update this post when I get my results back for prelims. Rn I am doing past papers for economics and I plan to do past papers for every subject as well because apparently that is the meta.

Do past papers.

Feel free to share any more bad habits that you've been self-conscious of to avoid for studying maths. I need it.

I may have clickbaited you.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)