How to read integration values (1 Viewer)

rickypontingdagoat

HSC
1720121269690.png
my teacher recommended this university book to try practice mod 8 Proton NMR questions and trying to identify compounds based on spectra given, and it seems to be a good resource, however I am wondering if there is a way to know what the integration values are on the H NMR graph or if in uni ur expected to calculate it or smth

wizzkids

HSC
The integrated peak heights are used to determine the number of protons in closely similar chemical environments.
Look at those stair-step graphs. The height of the step is the integrated value. The peaks at -1.3 and -2.0 have the same step height so they represent the same number of protons, and the step height at -4.2 represents only 3/4 the number of protons as the other two chemical environments. The peak at -2.0 is a singlet so that means these protons have no nearest neighbouring protons on the adjacent carbon atoms. The peak at -1.3 looks like a triplet and the peak at -4.2 looks like a quartet. In HSC Chemistry you should be able to interpret what doublets, triplets and quartets are caused by.

There are two types of instruments in labs for doing Proton NMR. The high-B field instruments can split the peaks and reveal additional structural information, and the low B-field instruments (i.e. the cheaper ones) can only generate a broad "integrated" peak. They can't separate the doublets/triplets etc. You can tell from the Larmor frequency whether a high-field or a low-field instrument was used. The precession frequency for protons is given by this relation, ω=42.58 x B so that 200 MHz scan was done with a B-field of about 4.5 Tesla which is pretty high.
You can also re-process a high-resolution scan so that it just gives an integrated peak for the doublets/triplets etc.
I hope this is not too confusing.

Last edited:

rickypontingdagoat

HSC
The integrated peak heights are used to determine the number of protons in closely similar chemical environments.
Look at those stair-step graphs. The height of the step is the integrated value. The peaks at -1.3 and -2.0 have the same step height so they represent the same number of protons, and the step height at -4.2 represents only 3/4 the number of protons as the other two chemical environments. The peak at -2.0 is a singlet so that means these protons have no nearest neighbouring protons on the adjacent carbon atoms. The peak at -1.3 looks like a triplet and the peak at -4.2 looks like a quartet. In HSC Chemistry you should be able to interpret what doublets, triplets and quartets are caused by.

There are two types of instruments in labs for doing Proton NMR. The high-B field instruments can split the peaks and reveal additional structural information, and the low B-field instruments (i.e. the cheaper ones) can only generate a broad "integrated" peak. They can't separate the doublets/triplets etc. You can tell from the Larmor frequency whether a high-field or a low-field instrument was used. The precession frequency for protons is given by this relation, ω=42.58/B so that 200 MHz scan was done with a B-field of about 4.5 Tesla which is pretty high.
You can also re-process a high-resolution scan so that it just gives an integrated peak for the doublets/triplets etc.
I hope this is not too confusing.
Thanks, that helps a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)