How to study for Economics (Question, not answer... YET!) (1 Viewer)

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
I don't really feel like they're necessarily better than each other. I prefer Dixon over Riley since I like the way its formatted and structured more better; feels more clear for me but thats just opinionated. In my opinion I feel using both would help as there's some stuff Dixon doesn't cover that Riley does and vice versa, and they're better at explaining certain concepts than each other at times so if I don't understand something, I just check the other textbook which might be more detailed or clearer.

Hiheyhello

HSC
I don't really feel like they're necessarily better than each other. I prefer Dixon over Riley since I like the way its formatted and structured more better; feels more clear for me but thats just opinionated. In my opinion I feel using both would help as there's some stuff Dixon doesn't cover that Riley does and vice versa, and they're better at explaining certain concepts than each other at times so if I don't understand something, I just check the other textbook which might be more detailed or clearer.
i agree
also i genuinely enjoy reading dixon. it continuously re-affirms concepts and illustrates links in a clear manner.
our teacher once gave us an extract from riley to read and i found it so convoluted that i had to keep reading the same sentence over and over - it would be a lot more of an effort to read when ur hecka burnt out.

perhaps you could consider reading a couple of pages from both (i’m sure you could get a sample somewhere), and determine which one resonates with you better?

uniqueusername1

HSC
I recommend reading the dixon one first to consolidate all key concepts etc...

Then when writing essays you may want to look at riley as it has a lot of extra information which can enhance your response.

Ultimately, I wouldn't completely rely on textbooks as most people are going to take stats from them. Instead, I recommend you read the news and constantly update stats as this will give you extra detail and allow you to differentiate yourself from peers.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC

Then when writing essays you may want to look at riley as it has a lot of extra information which can enhance your response.

Ultimately, I wouldn't completely rely on textbooks as most people are going to take stats from them. Instead, I recommend you read the news and constantly update stats as this will give you extra detail and allow you to differentiate yourself from peers.
Yeah thats why my teacher preaches every class haha

Hiheyhello

HSC

omg i literally don’t have the riley textbook

should i be worried if i want to get a band 6 !!?

uniqueusername1

HSC
omg i literally don’t have the riley textbook

should i be worried if i want to get a band 6 !!?
Na you don't need tim riley to get a band 6.

Just make sure your researching the recent news. Honestly you don't even need to read the news regularly lol. But, when your doing each topic/essay just research articles related to it.

Always question everything so you can grasp everything more firmly.

For example, if I were writing about protectionism (essay).

I would research a lot about China's imposition of tariffs on Australia and its impacts by googling, reading articles and reports etc...

This would allow me to add a lot of extra detail which would not be available specifically in any textbook.

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
In relation to essays, (2 Scenarios):

1) Assignment --> Given 4 Essay questions where 1 could be assessed on the day. Should I make 4 essay plans and research statistics, then memorise some paragraphs on these essays, or?

2) HSC/Trial Exams --> Random Essay questions provided. What is the best approach to study/prepare for these types of essays?

notme123

HSC
In relation to essays, (2 Scenarios):

1) Assignment --> Given 4 Essay questions where 1 could be assessed on the day. Should I make 4 essay plans and research statistics, then memorise some paragraphs on these essays, or?

2) HSC/Trial Exams --> Random Essay questions provided. What is the best approach to study/prepare for these types of essays?
essay plans. the essays for eco are mostly predictable but they might throw in a twist where you have to add a little more and get rid of some stuff and link to the q. just make causes and consequences for each issue (except external because thats just topic 2 cad and er essays) and policy on all objectives. you can make some for topic 1 but personally i havent made any because im avoiding topic 1 essays at all cost in the hsc, and no free trade isnt topic 1, it's 2 idk why its repeated, so make one on that too for both ft and prot

notme123

HSC
then memorise some paragraphs on these essays, or?
also on the topic of memorizing, just learn what the stats are trying to say (and make the ballpark numbers up on the spot if you don't want to remember numbers) cuz you learn both the content and stats at the same time. if you need to memorize a flow chart of how things work or even keywords, go ahead, but beware it comes at an opportunity cost(hehe) of doing more productive work . like explaining why a downturn causes u/e is easy but you have to include key phrases like cyclical u/e, aggregate demand, consumer confidence, derived demand, redundancy pay, reduced hours, pro-rata pay, or tight business cash flow (i included a lot if you can go in detail but obviously just saying decrease ad, increasing cyclical is enough)

Last edited:

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
essay plans. the essays for eco are mostly predictable but they might throw in a twist where you have to add a little more and get rid of some stuff and link to the q. just make causes and consequences for each issue (except external because thats just topic 2 cad and er essays) and policy on all objectives. you can make some for topic 1 but personally i havent made any because im avoiding topic 1 essays at all cost in the hsc, and no free trade isnt topic 1, it's 2 idk why its repeated, so make one on that too for both ft and prot
Is there like an ideal video or document on how to make essay plans? I'm not 100% sure what to properly include when preparing essay plans or how to structure them for easy memorisation/flow.
If you could provide your own tips or strategies, that would be awesome.

uniqueusername1

HSC
also on the topic of memorizing, just learn what the stats are trying to say (and make the ballpark numbers up on the spot if you don't want to remember numbers) cuz you learn both the content and stats at the same time.
Lol yes making up stats. This guy in my class does it and still gets good marks and pisses me off, cause i waste hours researching mine.

However, I have made my own set of stats now in which the sophistication cannot be discovered from articles, journals and projections.

Edit: When making up stats always add the decimals. If you don't know approximates can't go wrong with percentages.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)