• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

How to study for law (1 Viewer)

Raven

i like to ask questions
HSC
N/A
G'day

any useful web-sites on how to study for law? ive looked at a book Surviving the Law school by some UWS and UTS lectrurer, very useful but im broke after spending money on textbooks

Thanks

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Everyone will have their own methods. This is what I do:

1. Do ALL readings, and take written, detailed but concise notes. Individual case notes like this:
Cowell v Rosehill Racecourse Co Ltd (1937) 56 CLR 605.
FACTS:
- Plaintiff (Cowell) sued defendant (Rosehill Racecourse) for assault
- defence was that plaintiff was trespassing
--> asked him to leave, plaintiff refused; removed with reasonable force
- plaintiff claimed he paid 4 shillings and was promised would be allowed to remain on land
--> promise made not to revoke licence

ISSUE:
- Is principle in Wood v Leadbitter good law? (Principle: "if a man creates a property right in another & gives them a licence to go upon certain land to use that right, grantor cannot break agreement")

HELD:
- right to see a spectacle not a proprietary interest; merely contractual rights/obligations.
etc
2. In class, when in discussion, refer to notes.

3. At the end of the week review the week's notes. When waiting for a class with nothing to do, or on bus to uni, take the opportunity to read over your notes. Give yourself a break on the way home :)).

4. When it comes near exam time, convert written notes to typed notes. The reason I do this is it makes me go through all my notes and extract the relevant sections to be put in the final exam (open book) notes. It forces you to read them and go through them.

5. Final study: read over typed notes.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
there's several good introductory 'how to study law' books... they should be near your first year law books section of the library... no need to buy, just borrow and have a squiz.

Raven

i like to ask questions
HSC
N/A
interesting, very interesting....nah i dont like "how to study law books", i doubt a lot of ppl read them anyways, there is plenty of reading for Law anyways. I just need some simple tips and hints on how to study for this course.

Thanks MoonlightSonata, thats really helpful. Anybody else is willing to add something useful?

P.S. i would love to add something meaningful but its week 3 and im already behind, so obviously my methods are not good enough

Lainee

HSC
I just made a discovery I should've seen weeks ago, but there are no exams at USyd for Foundations (yay!). So meaning that I can concerntrate on the assignments, prepare a few insights for class discussions... once in a while and it'll be all good!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)