HOW to study maths? (2 Viewers)

ronaldinho

Banned
HSC
how do u remember some things.. for example similarity..

if i do a similarity question.. if i look at the question after bout 5 days i wont know how to do it.. and have to start all over again..

any1 got any tips on how to memorise these things.. or how to memorise formulas??

ane_st

HSC
The best way to study maths is to keep practising with examples or past papers (ask your teacher for preliminary papers)..

The best way to make sure you dont keep forgetting the formulas or exercising is just practice!!!! Keep reviewing over the topics... Dont wait until tests come about to revise..

Have a copy of the formula sheet with you and keep refering to that once you get stuck or lost... Once you do an exercise with only one formula, you'll get the hang of it....

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

jessdoit

HSC
Personally I memorise formulas by rote. It's not hard and especially with similarity... Only three tests for that!
But the main way of "studying" maths really is through doing past papers and exercises in your textbook. Formulas can be memorised by rote but be sure to be confident in being able to apply them to problems.
By the way do you go to NSB?

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
Practice the questions on topics that you struggle with over and over again, until you get the hang of it. In 2 unit and 3 unit maths, remembering formulas and theorems and learning how to appply them to different questions will help you out there. Eventually you will remember the theorems and formulas well enough to use them in the questions you need to use them :)

IceOnFire

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Practice the questions on topics that you struggle with over and over again, until you get the hang of it. In 2 unit and 3 unit maths, remembering formulas and theorems and learning how to appply them to different questions will help you out there. Eventually you will remember the theorems and formulas well enough to use them in the questions you need to use them :)
Agreed.

Don't you just hate it when you have studied for everything that is going to be in the test, and u KNOW that you have studied them, then suddenly a question in the test makes you go WHAT????

I hate it when that happens. It's happened to me for every god damn tests that i have had this year..

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
Really the only effective way to study for mathematics is to practice, practice, practice. Be that either past papers, cumulative textbook reviews and\or memorising and using formulas for question.

Mathematics is really only something you can grasp through doing questions and practicing.

ronaldinho

Banned
HSC
IceOnFire said:
Agreed.

Don't you just hate it when you have studied for everything that is going to be in the test, and u KNOW that you have studied them, then suddenly a question in the test makes you go WHAT????

I hate it when that happens. It's happened to me for every god damn tests that i have had this year..
yeah dat always happens to me..

and nope im not for nsb

Last edited:

ronaldinho

Banned
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
is this the same for 4 unit.. or do u need to like those maths olympiad guys...

Riviet

HSC
N/A
ronaldinho said:
is this the same for 4 unit.. or do u need to like those maths olympiad guys...
Much of the 4 unit course is really just harder topics of the 3 unit, e.g you learn harder integration, polynomials, and conics, which is basically harder parabola/locus. You don't need to be competing in the maths olympiad to be able to do 4 unit but you should be finding 3 unit pretty straight forward.

flowergrl

HSC
hehehe.

i just looked over the homework that i did throughout the year.

and didn't study for it.

just get a study guide and do all question in there

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC
Just do all the topic review chapters in your textbook over and over again until you can do them quickly and accurately - without having to check back for references. Also don't do them so much that you memorise the answers lol.

SoulSearcher

HSC
basketcase89 said:
Just do all the topic review chapters in your textbook over and over again until you can do them quickly and accurately - without having to check back for references. Also don't do them so much that you memorise the answers lol.
That is why you get different questions from different textbooks, so that you face different questions when you are doing them :)

kathrynso

HSC
What I've done for my revision. Lol, I have revision notes for Maths! Ah...
Anyway, What I have done is I write down all the topics and subtopics on separate pieces of paper for each topic. Then, on the right hand side of the page, I write down formulas that I have problems remembering and also steps in doing certain questions. Then refine time each time you practise and get use to them. Try to do a variety of questions also. I also find making little sayings for some formulas hopefully too.
eg. one of the guys in my ext class couldn't remember the signs in 'Sums & Diff of Angles' - I told him to remember "sin is same sign" Lol, it worked though.

IceOnFire

HSC
I don't find studying from notes as effective as doing the questions repeatedly. But from what I heard about Soulsearcher's skills in maths, maybe i should start writing notes... :)

SoulSearcher

HSC
IceOnFire said:
I don't find studying from notes as effective as doing the questions repeatedly. But from what I heard about Soulsearcher's skills in maths, maybe i should start writing notes... :)
:rofl: What skills? :rolleyes:
I do both, make notes for maths as well as repeatedly do questions :)
Gangles.McGee said:
He's an inspiration to us all
Wow, I didn't know I was an inspiration :eek:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)