• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

how to survive english? (2 Viewers)

i-c-lil-ppl

Jasmine Gala
HSC
HELP! im really scared about my english results sabotaging my UAI. :S i do 12 units and all my subjects i expect high band 5s and band sixes except for english

half the time im failing and other times im miserably passing :(
HELP!
everyone is in the same boat tho. we are all suffering with our results!!!
my ranking is pretty average...can someone suggest how i can improve?? because i really have no one to turn to for help..no tutor...older kids and when i asked my teacher she turned me away "im busy"

HELP!
how do u survive HSC english advanced!

a-n-d-r-e-w

HSC
It is impossible to survive this subject, i think its just compulsory to screw over the left brainers. Im also expecting high band 5's to band sixes, im failing english

foram

Awesome Member
HSC
i-c-lil-ppl said:
HELP! im really scared about my english results sabotaging my UAI. :S i do 12 units and all my subjects i expect high band 5s and band sixes except for english

half the time im failing and other times im miserably passing :(
HELP!
everyone is in the same boat tho. we are all suffering with our results!!!
my ranking is pretty average...can someone suggest how i can improve?? because i really have no one to turn to for help..no tutor...older kids and when i asked my teacher she turned me away "im busy"

HELP!
how do u survive HSC english advanced!
EXACTLY! English is killing me too!~If they make english compulsary, they should make math compulsary too.

ccc123

HSC
a-n-d-r-e-w said:
It is impossible to survive this subject, i think its just compulsory to screw over the left brainers. Im also expecting high band 5's to band sixes, im failing english
English is compulsary because there needs to be a common subject for the purposes of scaling.

foram said:
EXACTLY! English is killing me too!~If they make english compulsary, they should make math compulsary too.
The scaling process only requires for there to be one compulsary subject, and English is more pertinent then maths for life skills.

Last edited:

i-c-lil-ppl

Jasmine Gala
HSC
so.. no suggestions??
:uhoh:
i really dont understand ! I do ancient history and im acing it especially with my essays...and i also do chemistry and physics and do pretty good..topping chem especially. hopefully *fingers crossed* they will help my uai !!

i know its compulsary but shouldnt the UAI show our strengths?? at least cudnt it be compulsary to study but not account for UAI??

ccc123

HSC
i-c-lil-ppl said:
so.. no suggestions??
:uhoh:
i really dont understand ! I do ancient history and im acing it especially with my essays...and i also do chemistry and physics and do pretty good..topping chem especially. hopefully *fingers crossed* they will help my uai !!

i know its compulsary but shouldnt the UAI show our strengths?? at least cudnt it be compulsary to study but not account for UAI??

Well, have you talked to teachers about where you are going wrong?

i-c-lil-ppl

Jasmine Gala
HSC
just get told i hold interesting arguments but need more examples and techniques to strengthen them....but in order to do that i need to write double i do...but i cant...time is never enough for english exams!!

i-c-lil-ppl

Jasmine Gala
HSC
but my teacher never checks my drafts and only gives it back with very unproductive feedback the day before assessment....so its practically impossible for me to practice and improve in english :(

i-c-lil-ppl

Jasmine Gala
HSC
lols ..ye my history teacher used to be an english teacher..she is really my only option because the whole english staff is so unhelpful :(...but that is it..my class mates are way too competitive to help me out

Ismet

HSC
N/A
Hey Guys,

I just happen to read your posts and completely sympathise and even empathise with you. The BOS have made English extremely dry and boring and if anything, my experience tells me they have discouraged students from reading and so on.

I have been tutoring English HSC for a long time. Ever since the new syllabus none of my students has allowed English to bring down their UAI and last year for example, my students' marks ranged from 89-94. And the majority of these students were not good at English. Their strenghts were Maths and other subjects.

I think you're overestimating English. Why don't you give me a call on 0425 360 396. My tutoring is unorthodox, one-on-one and it's not dry and boring. More importantly I treat my students as friends and am available to them 24/7 for any questions and concerns.

maries

HSC
lol thanks for posting this discussion, i thought i was the only person like this.

maries

HSC
ccc123 said:
English is compulsary because there needs to be a common subject for the purposes of scaling.

The scaling process only requires for there to be one compulsary subject, and English is more pertinent then maths for life skills.

Thats the biggest load of shit ive heard. People use maths every day. When do people need to know how to analyse shakespeare or compare different texts on journeys in their daily life?

melanieeeee.

Banned
HSC
maries said:
Thats the biggest load of shit ive heard. People use maths every day. When do people need to know how to analyse shakespeare or compare different texts on journeys in their daily life?
The study of English enables students to recognise and use a diversity of approaches and texts to meet the growing array of literacy demands, including higher-order social, aesthetic and cultural literacy. This study is designed to promote a sound knowledge of the structure and function of the English language and to develop effective English communication skills.

The English Stage 6 courses develop in students an understanding of literary expression and nurture an appreciation of aesthetic values. Through reading, writing, listening, speaking, viewing and representing experience, ideas and values, students are encouraged to adopt a critical approach to all texts and to distinguish the qualities of texts.

ccc123

HSC
maries said:
My latter statement is obviously subject to debate, but the former is not.

i-c-lil-ppl

Jasmine Gala
HSC
tutor?? my rents are really stingy about tutoring =="
in fact they tell me to stop studying :(

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
no excuses, results.

the course is not impossible. stop complaining, or wheedling your way out of putting in the hard yards to improve.
dont like your teacher?
find another you do.
having trouble with time?
practice. set yourself a time limit and write.

you will find your competetive class mates will get a kick out of helping you, 9 times out of 10. my greatest pleasure at school is study groups in which i help people get things to click when they cant approach a teacher, and when a mediocre student beats me, the top ranked student, at anything, in any subject.

english will only bring down your uai if you let it.

i-c-lil-ppl

Jasmine Gala
HSC
yes i know im complaining :D thats y i posted this thing haha. And im so grateful i did, because many of you guys have offered to help me. THANK YOU!

:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)