• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How Uni works?? (1 Viewer)

HSC
I am curious how uni works. I mean by:

1. How they get people in when they got higher rank (for example your aiming UAI of 67 and your result was 68)?

2. And how i get a scholarship according to first question?

3. And the accomadation?

Cheers.:D

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
basically they fill all the places they have to offer at a university from the highest ranking applicant down to the lowest, or until they run out of spots. Once they have made offers to all possible applicants, they may lower the cutoff/make offers to other people.

Scholaships I have no advice to offer.

Two options which I know of are renting and on campus living. On campus living involves having a room to yourself with a block of other students. Food is usually served in the colleges dining hall. Places are usually limited and are offered to overseas and regional students first. Payment is usually by semester and can include meals.

Renting is something that my friend has been doing. He lives 5 minutes from uni and pays for board, bills and other services separately. This requires more responsibility and definitely a steady source of income. In some ways however it can be cheaper to take this method of living than in a college.

Check with the respective university websites for more information regarding accomodation. They usually have them.

HSC
Thanks for details DarkWolf. I understood in rankings to fill in spaces :)

Other question is:

After i got in contact with Griffith (Gold Coast) for appointment on my disability services (choice for notetakers in course) they started contacted with me by mail and email for their details of what is happening (like Open Day i attended to last Sunday) and gave me free course and scholarship books for 2009.

What kind of signs is this to me?

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
NorthRiversMatt said:
Other question is:

After i got in contact with Griffith (Gold Coast) for appointment on my disability services (choice for notetakers in course) they started contacted with me by mail and email for their details of what is happening (like Open Day i attended to last Sunday) and gave me free course and scholarship books for 2009.

What kind of signs is this to me?
I think they tend to do that with everyone once you provide your details. Unless there are special disability scholarships?

HSC
black_kat_meow said:
I think they tend to do that with everyone once you provide your details. Unless there are special disability scholarships?
Oh yes they do! I think they telling me i'm getting it. They also told me they might cut off my rank a bit too (whenever my UAI is close to target of 61-64):)

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
sorry for delay was busy doing homework

it sounds like a good sign that they're sending you these things. However, until they have sent you a letter of offer or similar I can't say bang on that you've got the place. Perhaps you should have a closer look at their disability policies to get a clearer idea or double check with someone at administration at the university.

Keep your fingers crossed, and best of luck!

EDIT: To add a bit of clarity
The day after hsc marks are released, UAI's are released. Universities then start to make their offers. Maybe at that point, granted you have met the requirements, you will receive a letter of offer. Once you have received the offer, the place is yours for the taking.

Last edited:
HSC
Yea i thought i'm lucky because of my disability. (For hearing impairment actually).

Thanks for notes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)