• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

How useful is the CA for non accounting jobs? (1 Viewer)

jbravo

HSC
N/A
hello,

i'm currenlty half way through my CA, and got HD's in my accounting degree at uni. and a 2:1 in economics at uni

by the time i finish my CA, i'll have 2-3 years experience in a bank as a management accountant/grad/financial control etc (spreadsheet monkey).

what sort of roles are available to me if i don't want to be doing mangement accounting/financial control? i find this stuff very boring and repetitive....it's just reconicliations, expense analysis, and journals...

i think i'm interested in equities research or something similar (but have no clue about it - just what i read in the fin review)
  • something not routine, but not hard like tax law
  • i think it comes down to a role that let's you learn how to invest money on your own account
  • so i could develop my passive income...and start my own business in the future
  • has reasonable hours
  • and better pay than an accoutnant/financial controller in a bank...
i don't think i'm cut out for corporate finance etc. the hours are too long, people are nasty(?) - or so i've been told...and i'm not really a sales person - but i'm sure you can learn that...

any advice?

will i need further study (CFA)? what are good companies? do mid tier broking firms pay well?

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I'd say study for CFA and get an asset management role.

havy

HSC
are u implying that CA doesn't help getting into banking departments, ie. portfolio management, research etc?
but alot of ppl are saying getting CA does help moving into these departments....ppl just start at lower positions but they'll move their way up eventually.

btw which is better, CFA or FINSIA?

Last edited:

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
I thought FINSIA is one of the institutions you can do the CFA through...

CA helps for just about everything, but why would companies hire you as opposed to someone with a more relevant qualification, assuming you have no relevant work experience?

havy

HSC
Suvat said:
CA helps for just about everything, but why would companies hire you as opposed to someone with a more relevant qualification, assuming you have no relevant work experience?
Thats what I am thinking as well. But maybe accounting/auditing in financial services area are also considered as relevant skills and work experiences.

Last edited:

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
jbravo said:
hello,

i'm currenlty half way through my CA, and got HD's in my accounting degree at uni. and a 2:1 in economics at uni

by the time i finish my CA, i'll have 2-3 years experience in a bank as a management accountant/grad/financial control etc (spreadsheet monkey).

what sort of roles are available to me if i don't want to be doing mangement accounting/financial control? i find this stuff very boring and repetitive....it's just reconicliations, expense analysis, and journals...

i think i'm interested in equities research or something similar (but have no clue about it - just what i read in the fin review)
  • something not routine, but not hard like tax law
  • i think it comes down to a role that let's you learn how to invest money on your own account
  • so i could develop my passive income...and start my own business in the future
  • has reasonable hours
  • and better pay than an accoutnant/financial controller in a bank...
i don't think i'm cut out for corporate finance etc. the hours are too long, people are nasty(?) - or so i've been told...and i'm not really a sales person - but i'm sure you can learn that...

any advice?

will i need further study (CFA)? what are good companies? do mid tier broking firms pay well?
Do any jobs fit your description? Tell me and I'll join you
I thought rec monkeys have reasonable hours? (I deal with them everyday, and they're always gone when I need their help)

I say stick out in your role for a couple of years, get qualified, move to a senior position then leave - you could probably walk into a management role anywhere?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
havy said:
wat are rec monkeys:confused:
People who mindlessly perform reconciliations... typically between various systems to cater for timing differences or just simple errors. It sounds more complicated than it is- it's a very repetitive process.

On a sidenote, a CA typically will not be involved in the daily reconciliation process. If anything, they may be involved in year-end recs used for group reporting/statuatory reporting, but I don't think they would be too hands on in the recs which have breaks (or reconciling items) which are likely to be timing differences and cleared the next day automatically.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)