how will I do 4U now? (1 Viewer)

terushi

HSC
so... I've been doing pretty bad with maths recently. mainly due to extreme procrastination (only studying the night before) and other things, but i feel like i've screwed everything up for myself.

1st assessment i was ranked 1st in 2U (mark was not 100%), and a bit higher than middle in 3U. my teacher made a big deal about this (IDEK WHY) and made me believe he wanted me to do 4U. And I actually want to do 4U, but my recent exams probably wont allow me to.

I did really bad this time because of studying the night before, and I got ranked 10th in 2U (out of 65) and 16th out of 32 for 3U. my teacher says i only have another term to even TRY to stay in 3U, and if I don't do well he wants me to drop to advanced.

The thing is, i actually wanted to try and do 4U (which sounds so stupid considering my results). this year I haven't really been paying extreme attention to my subjects and prioritising their assessments like I used to. I've been doing a lot of my assessments last-minute (which is so bad), cram-studying for exams and just being in the classes tells me what i want to drop by the end of the term.

I'm hoping to pick up 4U english next year (i really enjoy english) and keep a science (and maybe music 1). I wanted to pick up 4U maths because i really feel like I'd be able to focus on maths much more than I usually do by doing only 3 subjects. i actually enjoy doing the maths work (when I do it) and would have no issue spending a lot of time on maths if given the time to do so. I just procrastinate all the time and never give myself enough to study thoroughly. And I 100% know I must change for next year.

with all this being said, how do I convince my teacher to let me do 4U? I 100% agree I have to pull up my marks by a LOT, but I feel the only way my teacher'll let me pick up 4U is if I'm getting marks close to whoever is ranked 1st (and they get close to 100% on every exam). how will I be able to improve greatly from now up until my yearly? I won't be able to get a tutor either. And I'm willing to put a lot of work in to get up there.

thanks for your help

fan96

617 pages
HSC
Uni Grad
One thing that might help is to show your teacher that you have a positive attitude towards maths. So e.g. participate in class more and maybe ask questions.

As for revision, perhaps start by grinding out some past papers starting a month or so before your exam block. And also, I find that it helps to try and fully understand the concepts being taught.

Honestly, 16/32 for 3U doesn't sound that bad to me. Is your teacher planning to cull half the cohort?

By the way, you need at least 4 subjects to qualify for an HSC.

Certain patterns of study and course requirements apply

You must satisfactorily complete:
  • a Preliminary pattern of study that includes at least 12 units
  • an HSC pattern of study that includes at least 10 units.
Both patterns of study must include at least:
  • 6 units of Board Developed Courses
  • 2 units of a Board Developed Course in English, or English Studies
  • 3 courses of 2 or more units (either Board Developed or Board Endorsed Courses)
  • 4 subjects.

Last edited:

Martin_SSEDU

HSC
I have a feeling the teacher is probably just annoyed slightly that you may be someone who had high potential but dropped because of poor work ethic or attitude. You most likely could still be able to enter 4U at the end of the day but definitely the teacher does want you to push yourself harder.

terushi

HSC
One thing that might help is to show your teacher that you have a positive attitude towards maths. So e.g. participate in class more and maybe ask questions.

As for revision, perhaps start by grinding out some past papers starting a month or so before your exam block. And also, I find that it helps to try and fully understand the concepts being taught.

Honestly, 16/32 for 3U doesn't sound that bad to me. Is your teacher planning to cull half the cohort?

By the way, you need at least 4 subjects to qualify for an HSC.
I think culling half the cohort is my teacher's plan, actually. the 3u class for this year's hsc is close to half the size of ours now. i'll also be completing an accelerated sor course this year, so when counted next year i'll have done 4 subjects. but thanks for your suggestions. i was hoping to just reteach myself everything, but doing past papers sounds good too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)