• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HSC 2013 English Advanced Marathon (2 Viewers)

O

Omed62

Guys any ideas about this English Essay question:

"Perception of belonging depend on context"

What are the things you can talk about in your essay.

My text is Romulus My Father.

barbernator

HSC
Re: 2013 HSC English Advanced Marathon

you can talk about, perceptions, belongings, dependence, and context

O

Omed62

can you guys please give some sample paragraphs/ ideas.

So you guys are saying that you can talk about?

barbernator

HSC

Write the Body Paragraphs

In the body of the essay, all the preparation up to this point comes to fruition. The topic you have chosen must now be explained, described, or argued.

Each main idea that you wrote down in your diagram or outline will become one of the body paragraphs. If you had three or four main ideas, you will have three or four body paragraphs.

Each body paragraph will have the same basic structure.

Start by writing down one of your main ideas, in sentence form.
If your main idea is "reduces freeway congestion," you might say this:
Public transportation reduces freeway congestion.
Next, write down each of your supporting points for that main idea, but leave four or five lines in between each point.
In the space under each point, write down some elaboration for that point.
Elaboration can be further description or explanation or discussion.
Supporting Point
Commuters appreciate the cost savings of taking public transportation rather than driving.
Elaboration
Less driving time means less maintenance expense, such as oil changes.
Of course, less driving time means savings on gasoline as well.
In many cases, these savings amount to more than the cost of riding public transportation.
If you wish, include a summary sentence for each paragraph.
This is not generally needed, however, and such sentences have a tendency to sound stilted, so be cautious about using them.

O

Omed62

you can talk about, perceptions, belongings, dependence, and context
so you mean that you can talk about personal, cultural, social context and acceptance, identity about text.
My text is Romulus, My father.

for example,

Romulus feels a sense of not belonging, due to his lack of social experience on the Australian landscape.
Raimond experiences a sense of connection to the place frogmore through his personal and social experience with animals.

is this right depending on the question "Perception of belonging depend on context".

Any more ideas, examples...

erckle999

HSC
Uni Grad

From the other thread, I didn't see you had specified your text here. See if you can pick up where I left off with specifics from Romulus.

(from the other thread)
That question is tricky because beyond whether one belongs or not, it is asking for a discussion of whether you perceive that belonging differently or at all because of context.
My advice would be to break up context into 3/4 different strands. Suppose we break it up into any of cultural context, social context (could be familial, school whatever), spatial context (belonging to place), temporal context (belonging due to progression of time, nostalgia - themes like that) even personal context (this could get into personal demons, mental issues).
So based on your texts, you might pick a few of those (1 per paragraph). Then in each paragraph you would want to show, in different ways, how one's context influences their belonging or lack their of. Then, as the second half of a paragraph, you might talk about how each that same contextual factor influences one's, or the general notion of, perception of belonging. For example, perhaps social attitudes engender racism and prevent one from belonging. However, perhaps time goes by and although racism may no longer occur, the previous feeling of non-belonging catalysed a perception of non-belonging leading to a perpetual, visceral vicious cycle between the perception and feeling of belonging.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)