HSC Discursive Text (1 Viewer)

kattieepie18122

HSC
Hi!

I have an assessment where I have to create a discursive speech for Module A and I'm a little confused with how to write a discursive and structure it. How do I integrate quotes to support the context for which both of my prescribed texts are written?

Any suggestions would be appreciated !!

Thanks,
Kate

hschelper01

HSC
Hey, Kate!

Discursive writing is incredibly flexible and fluid but ultimately, your aim is to discuss an idea or topic without bias or a predetermined opinion in order to enable your audience themselves to come to a decision on how they think/feel. When it comes to integrating quotes, you shouldn't (unless your school wants you to and in which it would deviate from the definition of a discursive speech anyway) be asked to identify or analyse techniques. Rather, you should only be using them to inform your discussion and the speech should remain an exploration of contextual influence on the construction, and relevance, of different texts. Beyond this, it really is up to you how you structure it so long as you have an introduction, body/bodies and conclusion. If you have been given a question, perhaps that might help me provide further advice :cool:

Some really great TED Talks that are in a discursive style and address literary figures' and their works include Jane Austen- an 18th-century woman for the 21st century and Why Shakespeare? Because it's 2016. These can be great samples on how you can still explore a text without having to analyse it in the conventional way we do in HSC English :D Hope this helps and do follow up with any other questions!

Max ✌

kattieepie18122

HSC
Hey, Kate!

Discursive writing is incredibly flexible and fluid but ultimately, your aim is to discuss an idea or topic without bias or a predetermined opinion in order to enable your audience themselves to come to a decision on how they think/feel. When it comes to integrating quotes, you shouldn't (unless your school wants you to and in which it would deviate from the definition of a discursive speech anyway) be asked to identify or analyse techniques. Rather, you should only be using them to inform your discussion and the speech should remain an exploration of contextual influence on the construction, and relevance, of different texts. Beyond this, it really is up to you how you structure it so long as you have an introduction, body/bodies and conclusion. If you have been given a question, perhaps that might help me provide further advice :cool:

Max ✌
THANK YOU SO MUCH - words can't even explain how much this helped :jawdrop: 🥳🥳

mimmzzy

HSC
Hey, Kate!

Some really great TED Talks that are in a discursive style and address literary figures' and their works include. These can be great samples on how you can still explore a text without having to analyse it in the conventional way we do in HSC English :D Hope this helps and do follow up with any other questions!

Max ✌
[/QUOTE]

When you say don't use quotes, if I was to incorporate quotes to back up the themes how could I do this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)