HSC English Word Count (1 Viewer)

SecretStudent123654

HSC
Hey, what is the rough guideline for the words required in both Paper 1 and Paper 2 of standard english HSC paper? I know people say quality over quantity which is true, but can i still have a guide?

d1zzyohs

HSC
Really? I heard someone say that 1000 was recommended but most kids did more then 1200?
nah, definetely not 'most kids'. I could probably do 1200 for something like module b, but it's not needed, but those 'kids' you talk about are most likely waffling. you want your argument to be concise and to the point.

above 800 words, it really doesn't matter.

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
nah, definetely not 'most kids'. I could probably do 1200 for something like module b, but it's not needed, but those 'kids' you talk about are most likely waffling. you want your argument to be concise and to the point.

above 800 words, it really doesn't matter.
lol same I would have to agree here

Vall

HSC
Probably as long as you fit in enough quotes that are fairly spread over the course of the text. For me my mod A is about 1200, mod B around 1100 and mod C is like 600 creative and 200 reflection.

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
Probably as long as you fit in enough quotes that are fairly spread over the course of the text. For me my mod A is about 1200, mod B around 1100 and mod C is like 600 creative and 200 reflection.
thats solid - my base piece is around 800ish words... but I believe from all that adapting it should be a bit closer to 1000 words. How many quotes do you generally aim to use for mod A and B if you do not mind answering?

Vall

HSC
thats solid - my base piece is around 800ish words... but I believe from all that adapting it should be a bit closer to 1000 words. How many quotes do you generally aim to use for mod A and B if you do not mind answering?
Apparently our school is weird about how quote numbers. For mod A I have 22 quotes total (5, 6, 5, 6 across my paragraphs as paragraphs 2 and 4 are about my second text and have a quote from the first text within their paragraph).
For mod B I have roughly 17 (3 paragraphs each with 5 quotes plus a critic quote but if I decide I’m running out of time in the exam I cut one or two paragraphs back to only 4 quotes).

EDIT: may as well add common mod too which I have 15 quotes for (5 per paragraph).

Vall

HSC
Lol everyone doing the shock emoji on my above post. Do other schools / people have not that many quotes? How many are you guys using?

jekyll

HSC
Lol everyone doing the shock emoji on my above post. Do other schools / people have not that many quotes? How many are you guys using?
for mod a I've got 2 paragraphs 1 with 5 the other with 6
for b also 2 paragraphs 1 with 5 other with 4
common mod is similar

but I've heard that its better to do 3 paragraphs because markers dont like chunky paragraphs? idk is 2 paragraphs a problem?

ive done 2 got pretty well in trials tho

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
common mod is similar

but I've heard that its better to do 3 paragraphs because markers dont like chunky paragraphs? idk is 2 paragraphs a problem?

Same - pretty much 10 quotes minimum, goes to around 15, 16. For Mod B, I would personally go with two ( and have in trials scoring pretty well). Markers from NESA advice not going beyond 3, which may be implicit that 3 itself is more than enough. Just to sustain detail I feel two is better. But some may prefer three.

Last edited:

d1zzyohs

HSC
common mod is similar

It all depends on Vall's length of quotes. If he's using full 17th length quotes, then his analysis will be weak. You want quality>quantity at the end of the day (I did pretty okay in trials, 93)

Vall

HSC
[slight rant warning]
It all depends on Vall's length of quotes. If he's using full 17th length quotes, then his analysis will be weak. You want quality>quantity at the end of the day (I did pretty okay in trials, 93)
My quotes aren't that long (like 10ish words on average) and I'm sorta banking on quantity making up for my lack of quality (I'm not an english loving person). I did decent in trials getting 83 (average was 77) but also feel like I have no idea how to compare the difficulty / marking of english trials to the actual HSC. Our school gives us a scaffold for each module's essay (telling us to do 3 paragraphs each with 5 quotes) and then if anyone doesn't follow that for our internals they get given terrible marks by our teachers. But then the rumour in our grade is that everyone (as in previous cohort's) completely rewrites all their essays in-between trials and HSC because apparently the scaffold "doesn't work" in the HSC. Someone said this to our english teacher and she got pretty mad at them (like they got banished from the english corridor for the last two weeks of school). I haven't rewritten mine (cause I have spent like a single hour on english study since trials) and just hoping I don't get absolute trash HSC marks.
Anyway rant over now - remember the ATAR's just a number!!!

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
[slight rant warning]

My quotes aren't that long (like 10ish words on average) and I'm sorta banking on quantity making up for my lack of quality (I'm not an english loving person). I did decent in trials getting 83 (average was 77) but also feel like I have no idea how to compare the difficulty / marking of english trials to the actual HSC. Our school gives us a scaffold for each module's essay (telling us to do 3 paragraphs each with 5 quotes) and then if anyone doesn't follow that for our internals they get given terrible marks by our teachers. But then the rumour in our grade is that everyone (as in previous cohort's) completely rewrites all their essays in-between trials and HSC because apparently the scaffold "doesn't work" in the HSC. Someone said this to our english teacher and she got pretty mad at them (like they got banished from the english corridor for the last two weeks of school). I haven't rewritten mine (cause I have spent like a single hour on english study since trials) and just hoping I don't get absolute trash HSC marks.
fair - I would say stick with what works best. if you see a benefit in changing your structure and can change between now and before next week ish, then sure, but its a gamble. Most schools when they advice are usually speaking on experience so they are prolly right

d1zzyohs

HSC
[slight rant warning]

Seems like an incredibly unreasonable standard given by your teachers... That's unfortunate. Atleast in externals you won't have an expected standard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)