HSC Mark Alignment? (1 Viewer)

betthisnameistaken

HSC
Does anyone know if all marks are worth the same in the alignment process? I'm reading https://rawmarks.info and apparently there's "Weighted Raw Mark" and "Unweighted Raw Mark"? What does this mean?

Also, how exactly do they convert the English raw mark out of 105 to a HSC mark out of 100? Is it a percentage which is then aligned?

What exactly is the purpose of aligning too, doesn't it screw up the people who had higher raw mark but ended up with the same HSC mark due to aligning?

Last edited:

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Does anyone know if all marks are worth the same in the alignment process? I'm reading https://rawmarks.info and apparently there's "Weighted Raw Mark" and "Unweighted Raw Mark"? What does this mean?

Also, how exactly do they convert the English raw mark out of 105 to a HSC mark out of 100? Is it a percentage which is then aligned?

What exactly is the purpose of aligning too, doesn't it screw up the people who had higher raw mark but ended up with the same HSC mark due to aligning?
I'll answer the second half of your post. Aligning determines what your raw mark will be shifted up to. As your raw mark becomes higher, the amount it aligns becomes lesser, its a bell curve. For example a raw mark of 89 may align to 94 and a raw mark of 94 may align to 95. You may think this is a disadvantage but that gap of one mark gives a big difference in terms of atar contribution.

D94

HSC
N/A

There are some subjects where there are different option topics. NESA will perform option scaling to ensure the different topics can be fairly compared to each other. The raw marks report will have your list of questions and the mark you gained. When added, this may be higher or lower than your final weighted mark because it has been adjusted. This is different to the aligning process though.

If you mean on the website, it's just been converted to a raw mark out of 100. The aligned mark is still the equivalent whether it's out of 105 or 100. Makes no difference.

The purpose of aligning is simply to point a raw mark to a level of achievement, i.e. a Band. Each Band represents an achievement level or standard which has a descriptor. If your mark falls within that descriptor, you get a mark within that Band. Note that it has no bearing on your ATAR.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)