• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HSC Marks and Band 6's (2 Viewers)

DoTheFlip123

HSC
Hey everyone, I just wanted to post this to gain an insight into how this works.

So obviously, to get a band 6 in a subject you do need a mark of 90-100 (as suggested in the NESA website)

However, is this mark scaled or raw?

For physics, in 2020 roughly 12.4% of students achieved a band 6.
For a subject that does scale less for example, Mathematics Standard, it is roughly 5.8% of students.

Does that mean for example, If i get a HSC mark of 83 for physics, that hypothetically scaled up to a mark of 90, would that give me a band 6 for physics?

Thank you.

appleali

HSC
I think how it works, is that you get a raw exam mark, this is then scaled to a HSC mark which is what you get from NESA.
A 90+ HSC Mark is a band 6, and by looking at https://rawmarks.info around an 82 raw scaled to a 90(B6) last year.

You can do this for all your subjects and see what raw marks you need to get. Also you can use this to get a more accurate ATAR prediction as entering in your raw trials marks into the UAC ATAR Compass will give you an underestimation, as they haven't been scaled

This is just to my understanding, if someone else knows more please correct me.

ihatehsc24

HSC
I think how it works, is that you get a raw exam mark, this is then scaled to a HSC mark which is what you get from NESA.
A 90+ HSC Mark is a band 6, and by looking at https://rawmarks.info around an 82 raw scaled to a 90(B6) last year.

You can do this for all your subjects and see what raw marks you need to get. Also you can use this to get a more accurate ATAR prediction as entering in your raw trials marks into the UAC ATAR Compass will give you an underestimation, as they haven't been scaled

I'm pretty sure the UAC ATAR Compass is for scaled marks not raw?

DoTheFlip123

HSC
That's not scaling its alignment mate. For example a raw 78 in PDHPE gets aligned to a 90. So to answer your question an 83 raw in physics will be considered a b6

Oh so Alignment is where they alter the value of a given score so it can be a HSC mark? I am a bit confused about the difference between alignment and scaling though :confused:

DoTheFlip123

HSC

Thanks for the clarification!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)