• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Hsc Marks Question!!! (1 Viewer)

04er

HSC
When you receive your final marks for each subject the day before getting your UAI, are those marks before or after scaling? :confused: I want to know since I'm not sure about the marks I'm putting into SAM ;)

Thanks for your time!

04er

HSC
Thanks Laz! and what exactly are 'aligned marks', and how do they differ from 'scaled marks' (or are just the same thing?)

Last edited:

CHUDYMASTER

Master of Chudy 'n' Curry
HSC
Aligned marks are done by Board of Studies. They align the school marks (summarised by a mark out of 100) according to how you went in the HSC exam (which is also in a way, aligned)
eg. You may stuff up the HSC big time (but still comparatively well across the state). You may have also stuffed up school big-time. take english - your mark was 50 % at school but you came 1st. You end up getting an HSC exam mark of 90 % (because you were in the top say...10% of the state). They'll therefore shoot that 50 % straight to 90. (or less, depending on what position you were at school, and how your mark compared with that of your peers)

This, essentially is alignment.

Scaling is done by UAC and it's the crappy scam they got running where they bring your mark down according to what they think (or some say...calculate) are "high-quality candidature" subjects. The low-quality ones will get scaled down heaps, whereas the higher ones will be scaled down less and special cases occur where the subject marks might scale up (eg, 4 u maths)

These scaled marks go into an aggregate out of 500 and this is what they use to rank you and give you your UAI.

Last edited:

chris2000

Sam

i do 4 unit maths, 3u eng, 2 u phy, rel 1 u, 2 u modern his. in the modulator do i need to enter for maths say, 2 u then ext 1 then 4 unit or just 4 unit maths. What about eng?

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
you enter in your mark for 4u and 3u only.

you dont enter in any marks for 2u.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)