HSC Modern History Exam (1 Viewer)

TastesGoodBut

The guidelines say 55 - 70 - 55 mins for the respective sections

now WWI isnt too bad... alot of it is from the sources so its not too hard to do that in 50 mins or less

the national study... - we have one 20 mark essay, and then 2 'mini essays' on the personality. How much time should we spend on the essay and the two mini essays?
And also are the two mini essays in the same writing booklet when it comes to HSC time??

ANd lastly - International Peace Studies - a WHOPPING 30 marks....

so them ain question is about national studies... but i have a feeling timing has been and will be a problem for alot of ppl.... i mean it is very hard to time urself in a 3 hour exam

My mum insists that if ur short on time write points because they need to give u credit for it- is that true??

tis about all...

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by TastesGoodBut
the national study... - we have one 20 mark essay, and then 2 'mini essays' on the personality. How much time should we spend on the essay and the two mini essays?
And also are the two mini essays in the same writing booklet when it comes to HSC time??
i'd like to know the answer to this too!! i don;t know how much time i should be spending on whatever here...

Originally posted by TastesGoodBut
My mum insists that if ur short on time write points because they need to give u credit for it- is that true??
something my teachers have always told me is to write a good essay plan in 2-5 mins at the beginning of each essay- not only for your own benefit and efficiency but also because if you don't finish your essay as you might have liked to due to time restraints, the marker can refer to it and see where you are headed

i wouldn't rely on points etc.. just try and write a good essay because the markers aren't just looking for mentioning certain things but also ability to sustain a well-structured argument etc.

TastesGoodBut

Yes of course u write a proper essay etc - but im thinking "Shit only 5 minutes to go and im only half way through my last section..." because i am worried about my timing in history more than anything i think

i figure if u write points they mite think "well he does know what else he could write about" and maybe pick up 1 if not 2 more marks rather then just ending with a shitty conclusion that doesnt even take into account, for example, the Tet Offensice of 1968 when the questions is about strategies and tactics or sumthing

TastesGoodBut

thats not a bad idea actually... i might do that... but i want to try and leave 20 mins for each - that gives me afew mins to plan and i can knuckle down for thos 2 - would much rather spend less time on that and lose 2 marks than spend less time on vietnam and lose 6 marks

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
The source questions are pretty straightforward (or at least they were last year!) and do not take that long-especially if you use the reading time properly and start thinking about what points to write about. You wouldn't need the full 55 mins to finish it.
Therefore, you should try to use that extra time on the national study-I know that took me longer than 70 mins to finish. 55mins to do the question on International Peace Studies is pretty reasonable.
Also-do the source questions last. It's hard to figure out how long to spend on those questions, and it's easy to spend too long on them writing about every small detail if you think you've got the time, and you also don't want to rush and finish it all up early, then finish the exam with half an hour left over. This way, you'll know exactly how much time you have to spend on it. Also, the source questions are a bit more "user friendly"-your hand will be hurting something chronic at this point, and at least when you have to keep looking back to the sources, it isn't such solid, furious writing.

sif not 99

my advise is to rip through WW1 as quickly as possible, you can get it done in 50 mins EASY if not less, aim for 45mins

as for the national studies you will need 40 mins for the essay

personality you can DEFINETLY safe time on, this is a 30 - 35 min question

national study is the tricky part if all goes according to plan you should have 60 mins at least for this question.

i did my hsc exam for mod in this order and hit mid band 6 for modern so I have cred, as long as you know your stuff and be confident in your examination preparation and execution you can hit the time limits for each of these sections.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)