Hsc Question! (1 Viewer)

MiChelle

How would use Answer this??

Papers Galore is a large franchise of stationary stores, With some 200 Branches throughout NSW. They sell a variety of pens, notepapers, Folders and similar items to the public. Athough each store needs access its own data, the head office needs details of all sales and GST payable. Head office would also like to see which products sell well across the state, and how much each salesperson sells in a year. At the end of each year, a report is produced showing the total sales for the company, broken down by store and individual sales person, a copy of which is sent to each Store.

a] Evaluate (make a judgement based on the criteria) the appropriateness of Data warehousing for this system???

B]Suggest and justify (Support a Conclusion) a relevant backup stratgy for the real time system.

C] Using Diagrams to illustrate your answer, Note the differences between designs needed for the user interfaces required for the collection of data in a branch in a batch system in each local store and that required for a real time system in each Store..

I am Really COnfused, and some 1 help me answer these??

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

do0d

b4 i go on
if u can bs ull do fine
i can somewhat but cant makeit long like others anywho

a. well due to the amount of reports made and the amount of data sent and also required a datawarehouse is appropriate as they say they wanna find all that data
by gathering everything into one place it can be easily searched thru and any relevant data can be found

b err what real tiem system?

u could say a batch system consisting of paper n pen type procedures which would be implememnted if the real time system died

c ok now im wondering where did u get thsi from? did they change the subject so much as to incluide SDD type questions in IPT?

cant really help u with this at the moment

Aquatic

I've got a question like that for my half-yearly, well... not really the same but consist of real time and batch system.

b) It asked for backup strategy as well, so you might want to refer to it (?)

d) What kind of diagram you have to draw? My half-yearly asked for a context diagram

heh, I'm not helping but asking more questions instead >_<;;

do0d

just look up the stuff they say in the books about realtiem systems and their backups

kannonboy

I know this sounds like pure BS but it's what you have to write:

A] The implementation of data warehousing from a central server (allowing a single database to collect a range of information and raw data from multiple sources) will allow head office to easily access financial and stocktake information for the purposes of continual analysis and creation of a yearly sales report.

btw. a real time system is a "dynamic" system. ie. one that is continually accessed and updated

B] As it is a real-time system requiring continual updating from a variety of locations a distributed database is necessary to allow seperate parts of the database to be modified at different times. Head-office could make periodical back-ups (stored on a central server) once per day after store operating hours. In this way any one data item will be stored in two places at any given time.

do0d's right. this sounds more like SDD :p but anywayz

C] The user-interface for Papers Galore's existing "batch" information system would consist of a static database view consisting of rows and columns of fields containing data sourced from the previous batch transfer. A "submit" button would send the information to a central server maintained by head office. A new real-time user-interface would consist of a dynamic database view (also consisting of rows and columns of fields) of a central database which is continuously updated as modifications are made from other stores and head office.

ah shit i've contradicted myself between b] and c]... hope it helped you anyway :) g. luck in hsc 2002

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)