• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

HSC Requirements for University (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Is doing a certain HSC course absolutely required to get into a course?

For example engineering at UTS my friend who wants to do it says you need to have done Physics at school and achieved a certain mark. Is this true?

Can a bridging course suffice for this course as well?

Last edited:

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
well if you dont know shit all about a certain pre-req then they advise you to do the bridging courses. you dont have to, but it would help. im pretty sure you can still get in a course even if you dont satisfy the pre reqs.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
It would benefit you more if you have done the subjects at school, but it won't stop you getting in. I mean most uni courses allow entry by UAI mark only, regardly of what subjects you have done. Most uni's allow you to do bridging courses and stuff to help you catch up.

But as I said, its an advantage to have done something at school. Like if your doing science, then at least one science subject would be great. If engineering, then 3/4 unit maths and physics would be great, and if your doing IT then doing IPT and/or SDD would help you as well. But none of these are required (not as UTS at least), and you'll find you will learn a lot in first semester that you would have learnt back at school already, but it is advised to take maths and science bridging courses if they are required.

Generator

HSC
N/A
I have no idea... I am only aware of the fact that if you were to take advanced first year units you would require a certain UAI and HSC mark (although it is possible to take those units without the required HSC subject).
That wasn't much help, was it?

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
someone told me how the .. ahhh the uac book. they said in choosing people for a course, they will first see if the people have done the prerequisites. if not, they are discarded (note - prerequisites, not the recommended courses). so therefore you may have had to do a course, and most of the time a bridging course will do.

routemarker

Looking for the Way out ?
HSC
there is no such thing as prerequisites for first yr courses its just 'assumed knowledge' and it wont bar you from enrolling in a course although you may be at a slight disadvantage but you can always do a bridging course or study the subject by yourself before uni starts.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
That's the thing, I was told something about pre-requisties, and that you need to achieve a certain band for a HSC subject to get in.

I thought it was all bs, but apparently quite a few people have brought it up, so im a bit confused.

Huy

HSC
N/A
No it's true Ragerunner,

I have read it somewhere, but I can't remember where. I was searching for courses and came across a degree which required a Band 3 in Chemistry and something else.

It's a bit peculiar how they are expecting a level of achievement, but it's not a big ask really (Band 3 in Chemistry), I think the other subject was Band 4 or 5 in Mathematics. :confused:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
I recall one being band 6 in Mathematics.

As said by "..."

Thats screwed..................

routemarker

HSC
thats probably for a advanced course where even those who got a band 6 may still struggle. but still i think most unis have scrapped the 'prerequisite' and changed it to 'asumed knowledge' or 'recommended studies' since the inception of the new HSC.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
i remember reading in the handbook that certain higher maths and statistics subject require particular prerequisite maths marks (like 180/200 for 3U/4U and 140/150 for 2U/3U)

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
in maq, computer science requires band 6, does that mean we have to do bridging course if we didnt get that band?

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by sukiyaki
in maq, computer science requires band 6, does that mean we have to do bridging course if we didnt get that band?
If a Band 6 is the prerequisite, then I would say yes.

But it all depends on your marks, I think you should be able to be allowed in with a Band 5 - but, that's if it were up to me.

Having said that, I think you'll have to do a bridging course to get yourself up to speed with the rest of your classmates.

If it requires a Band 6, and you didn't get a Band 6 in Maths - you'll have to achieve that level, before anything else can happen.

Correct me if I'm wrong, guys. :)

routemarker

HSC
gawd if i remember correctly thers no such thing as 'prerequisites' for firts year there is only 'assumed knowledge' which means the course assumes that you have achieved the required level and its up to you to go along with the regulations or opt to do a lower course.

for example at UNSW
Higher Mathematics 1A AK combined 145 in 3u/2u or combined 185 4u/3u
Mathematics 1A combined 100 3u/2u recomended at least 120 combined 3u2u or 100 combined 4u/3u
General Mathematics 1A (in other words 3u) 60 in 2u

at unsw if you dont have the required knowledge and you need to do Math 1A you can do general maths then do Math 1A the following semester. Higher maths is just for the snobs who aced 4u and would ge t bored in Math 1a.

but if you dont meet the 'assumed level' then they cant really stop you from doing the course but its most likely that you would struggle and possibly fail.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)