• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HSC Top Notes study guides (1 Viewer)

err

HSC
N/A
Hi everyone,

I was thinking of ordering the 'Top Notes' study guides for John Donne/ W;t, Jane Eyre and Julius Caesar. Does anyone have any opinions of these books? Are they worth buying?

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I personally don't believe they are the best study guides for English-there's not much editing that goes into those books-I've found a fair few spelling mistakes in the books, and furthermore the ideas are pretty generalised. In general you are much better off buying the book, 'advanced modules and electives' by Barbara Stanners or just borrow it from your library, it has some pretty good analysis to get you start thinking more deeply about your module.

But at the end of the day, books weren't do too much to improve your results-you should focus on putting consistent effort in developing individual insights into the module and writing practice essays and getting feedback on a regular basis to improve upon. Hope this helps, any more questions feel free to ask-all my best wishes for you to ace your HSC year:)

Last edited:

err

HSC
N/A
Thanks so much for the advice! The guides definitely sound pretty dodgy... I think that I'll look at buying 'Advanced Modules and Electives' instead.

study1234

HSC
You really don't need to buy books for English. I found Top Notes completely useless, and regret buying it. Also remember that the best analysis is often original.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)