• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

HSC - what next?! (1 Viewer)

aMJp

HSC
So here's my predicament.

I've finished my Higher School Certificate. I've achieved the seemingly unachievable after 13 years of institutionalisation. Freedom is mine!

However!

I am finding myself sitting at home now, and as crazy as it sounds.... I'm bored!
After yearning for this feeling of endless possibility, for not having the guilty feeling of "sure I could go out tonight, but I could also be writing an essay on the existentialist reading of King Lear", suddenly I don't know what to do with myself!

I am job hunting currently, so if and when I land a job then I'll at least have something to be doing with my time.... but I don't want to be living to work! Isn't the whole idea that we work to live??

I plan on going to Uni in 2008. Further study next year is an unbearable thought.

Tomorrow when I wake up, I will have nothing to do.

What should I do???

BlackDragon

HSC
the exact same thing is happening to me! although, i do have a job, although they put me on casually because i'm starting out.
i've taken to reading. sometimes all day when i have nothing to do. which is alot of the time. i've almost read the whole hp series, which i purposely wanted to read again. and i spose i'll just keep on picking up another book when i finish one. but apart from that and occasional mountain bike rides, i am in the same situation.

aMJp

HSC
It's ridiculous isn't it?? I mean the whole world awaits, and all I can do is sit inside and wonder why I'm not doing anything...
By the way I am a massive HP fan, and your "Location" of 12 Grimmauld Place gives you instant cred with me.
I have also turned to reading. I'm reading the biography of Jim Morrison. For hours at a time. Once that's finished...... yeah, I guess I'll just haul out the HP series and read it for the twelve million and eighteeth time.

aMJp

HSC
I just wish there was something to DO.... something to occupy me.
Wollongong is so boring! Argh!

BlackDragon

HSC
wollongong hey? lol i'm in armidale. which is even worse. atleast you're on the coast.
so any suggestions anyone?

aMJp

HSC
SUGGESTIONS ANYONE??

I AM PLACING MY LIFE IN YOUR FINGERTIPS!

MAKE ME A LIFE!

Please?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Man you're so sh*t because you have no life ;)

Well how much money are you willing to spend? What i found great about post-hsc was that i could rack up some hours for my P's and hit the gym. If you're fat and ugly you could lose some weight. If you're lanky and unfit you could try bulking up. Oh wait you're a girl. Well no worries aerobics classes are a blast and the music so random :rofl:

However the above two require moolah.

Hmm i guess you could have a jog around the block if you want to keep fit? Maybe help around the house if you still live with your family? Take up a cerebral hobby such as chess or scrabble or something else you can play online?

Depends whether you're interested in knowledge, fitness, goodwill, a sense of purpose etc etc. You sound indecisive maybe watch a few romantic movies so you can indulge yourself with choccies and chips? While watching another girl taking an hour and a half to make up her mind on whether to forgive her guy or not <3

Sam.

bored.
HSC
bobness said:
Man you're so sh*t because you have no life ;)

Well how much money are you willing to spend? What i found great about post-hsc was that i could rack up some hours for my P's and hit the gym. If you're fat and ugly you could lose some weight. If you're lanky and unfit you could try bulking up. Oh wait you're a girl. Well no worries aerobics classes are a blast and the music so random :rofl:

However the above two require moolah.

Hmm i guess you could have a jog around the block if you want to keep fit? Maybe help around the house if you still live with your family?
Or you could go the opposite way and sit on your arse and watch DVDs for a few weeks I'm working my way through M*A*S*H, Seinfeld, Arrested Development (again) and Scrubs (again).

I haven't been to a gym in my life, which I really should now that the soccer season's over. But I've also been busying myself with finding a place to live overseas for my course next year. If you want to take a year off, why don't you try sitting down and start planning some stuff? Do you want to travel, work?

aMJp

HSC
I took bobness's advice and started working on my fitness.
It involved a mad dash to the train station to catch a train to my friend's place so we could sit and eat pizza...
And mate, my legs have never been so sore in all my life. I never realised how out-of-tune my body was! My hips feel like they're about to give way when I walk! But it was a good 10 minute run, mostly downhill, and it certainly got the old heart pumping.

I've always fancied aerobics too, you know? I can see myself in one of those g-string leotards, "Call on Me" video clip style.

I definately need a sense of purpose. I'm not content to meander around aimlessly. I am considering enrolling in a TAFE course and learning a language. Which will assist me when I go travelling.. one day. First and foremost I need a job to create some moolah.

Today, I think I will go for a big fat bikeride. There is, after all, a beautiful biketrack running along the beach for about 20 k's. I should probably utilise that.

What about you, BlackDragon? What are you up to son?

lala2

Banned
HSC
Some things you could do without getting a job:

- Racking up hours for P's if you haven't already
- Reading--reading Oliver Twist atm
- Watching movies (DVDs, YouTube, etc)--> I've taken to watching a lot of music videos on YouTube lately--my Internet bill must be sky high :s
- Scrabble/chess/anything else
- BOS'ing (though there's only so many times you can click the 'New Posts' function and dive into the archives)
- Help around the house/clean up your room if you haven't already--I've raked some leaves in the garden, and kept the clothes from the washing line...hmmm, should progress to cooking next or something.
- Hang out with friends--unless they've got themselves jobs, in which case you may have to wait a while before something can be arranged around their work schedules
- Wikipeding random things--the amount of general knowledge you learn is amazing--I've done movies, ancient Egypt, ancient China, and random other things so far
- Pick up an instrument/other hobby--I'm gonna start composing some pieces of my own
- Job hunting--though it's a bit late now. But certainly thinking of cover letters and resumes and putting applications in and phoning up and all will occupy your time well
- Writing stories/other creative pursuits--..........

And yep, that's all I can think of.

Last edited:

BlackDragon

HSC
also, go to baratsandbereta.com or search for barats and bereta on youtube. they are the best videos in the world and will keep you occupied for hours.

so, how is it going aMJp?

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
lala2 said:
Some things you could do without getting a job:

- Racking up hours for P's if you haven't already
- Reading--reading Oliver Twist atm
- Watching movies (DVDs, YouTube, etc)--> I've taken to watching a lot of music videos on YouTube lately--my Internet bill must be sky high :s
- Scrabble/chess/anything else
- BOS'ing (though there's only so many times you can click the 'New Posts' function and dive into the archives)
- Help around the house/clean up your room if you haven't already--I've raked some leaves in the garden, and kept the clothes from the washing line...hmmm, should progress to cooking next or something.
- Hang out with friends--unless they've got themselves jobs, in which case you may have to wait a while before something can be arranged around their work schedules
- Wikipeding random things--the amount of general knowledge you learn is amazing--I've done movies, ancient Egypt, ancient China, and random other things so far
- Pick up an instrument/other hobby--I'm gonna start composing some pieces of my own
- Job hunting--though it's a bit late now. But certainly thinking of cover letters and resumes and putting applications in and phoning up and all will occupy your time well
- Writing stories/other creative pursuits--..........

And yep, that's all I can think of.
Yeah said that, but then it still costs petrol money.

Awesome someone took my advice :D Now hit the aerobics class and call on me then.

Sam. said:
Or you could go the opposite way and sit on your arse and watch DVDs for a few weeks I'm working my way through M*A*S*H, Seinfeld, Arrested Development (again) and Scrubs (again).
I mentioned that too when i advised chick flicks. All girls seem to love them :confused: It's more predictable than a disney movie though =/

BlackDragon

HSC
haha, i don't have my Ls either. i could have got them 2 years ago. i've just been too lazy. should get them soon though.

aMJp

HSC
***SUCCESS***

aMJp has had a life for the last 5 days! She went to the city of MELBOURNE for schoolies, hoorah!

She averaged 3 hours of sleep a night, and drove her liver to distraction. Rock on!

Now I'm back in the Gong feeling a little more refreshed, a little more ready to take on some pursuits and see them through, etc. I really liked a lot of lala's suggestions. Raking leaves is very satisfying, don't you think? (I actually mean that).

How's everyone else going?? BlackDragon?? Everyone?? How's post-HSC life treating your soul?

bassqueen16

HSC
so incredibly bored, who would have thought? We were all so uber psyched to be free and do whatever we want that we forgot to figure out what we wanted to do, in order to prevent future boredom, arent we irresponsible? :)

FeiLix

HSC
drumming lessons for me. i got a drumkit sittin there waiting haha

gonna go luna park on friday nights- friday night lunacy offer is up, jus 25 bucks for a classic unlimited rides pass (usually its $42), and its available for after 5pm til late (midnight in holiz), yup its on their site.

started driving lessons (got my Ls last xmas holiz, havent started driving til 2 weeks ago lol!)

goin to carols in the domain this sat, hang out with a bunch of ppl (hu cares if i dunno some of them, i like strangers haha)

yep. life aint too boring if u DO stuff. And u never know, new ppl mite jus pop up into ur life

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)