• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

human rights question (1 Viewer)

**blu_rose**

HSC
Do anti terrorist laws protect the human rights of all stakeholders? why? why not?

can someone help me with this and possibly give some points which i need to cover
or does anyone know any websites etc where i can find info

thanks

monique66

talk about how anti-terrorism laws leave a presumption of guilt on the accused, thus denying them the right to the presumption of innocence. Just talk about how this is against principals of natural justice and then blab on about how statues can impede on human rights that are enforced under common law, etc...

muhammad 1

HSC
Make sure u specifically mention the ASIO laws. You should concentrate on how these laws protect society by the immense power granted to ASIO. However, you should also talk about how these laws are in breach of human rights eg: denied the right to remain silent, no detention without trial, freedom of speech, freedom of association, presumption of innocence is reversed etc etc

As for a specific answer to the question, the answer is no. They obviously do not protect ALL stakeholders, but they may protect some. Basically, in this situation, the rights of some innocent individuals are being violated in order to protect the rights of society.

Aimz- Lou.

anti-terrorism laws do not protect the rights of the accused. They are denied natural justice, and they can be detained for up to eight days without being charged. The authorities do not need to tell them what the charges aganst them are- all they are required to reveal is that "it is for matters of national security."

Hope that helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)