• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

humor (1 Viewer)

OutOfOrder

HSC
hey
just wondering if anyone is doing a humorous/satirical story at all?
i've been thinking of doing something like that.. but i think it'd be a bit hard later on, and im worried about the markers thinking 'this guys a dumbass'. It'd be fun though :)

oh and my story so far has no ACTUAL concept/idea behind it right now.. is that bad? do you really need one?

thanks

marcus

J

jhakka

Write what you want to write. If it adds to the effect of the story, use it. If not, don't.

The end.

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
i've always said it's hard to be funny on paper, but some people pull it off mighty well, give it a go

Abbeygale

HSC
Have you read the Showcases? One of them, 2003 I believe, features a sci-fi/comedy/satire piece.

Alimoe_KG

HSC
LOL ! u definitely need a concept behind ur humour. My teacher, whos a senior marker, says otherwise the markers will feel ur just making fun of the course and them, and they won't appreciate it =/

OutOfOrder

HSC
what i mean my story isnt exactly.. deep... i planned to write it just as a simple enjoyable read, (well okay not that simple).
i wanted to write something sorta like terry pratchet.. but yeah it gets frickin hard.

abbeygale: is that the BoS showcase or the young writers showcase?

thx for your replies

Abbeygale

HSC
Um? I'm not sure I know the difference. I'm referring to the published book of exemplars, not the showcase thread on this site, if that's any help.

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
i think that's the young writers showcase 2003, it's like a social satire mixed with speculative fiction, i think it's called 'just before his head exploded'. It's actually really good, so try get your hands on it. Anyone know when the 2004 showcase is coming out?

Abbeygale

HSC
That's the one. The bible story makes me love and hate the author at the same time.

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
im writing humor/satire stories for my mw. im doing a series of stories so hopefully the marker will find at least one of my stories funny. i have rationale behind my work though. if worried about ur story. let other people read it and see what they think.

Abbeygale

HSC
moffat said:
im writing humor/satire stories for my mw. im doing a series of stories so hopefully the marker will find at least one of my stories funny. i have rationale behind my work though. if worried about ur story. let other people read it and see what they think.
But not your friends, because they lie. This is the sort of situation where a mentor comes in handy.

OutOfOrder

HSC
Yeah my teacher has read my 3000 words so far lol, and she loved it and thought it was hilarious.. wrote a 2page letter about it.. but i probably should show other people and see what they think..
humor is hard, because some people have a different sense of humor or even NO humor at all! thats scary
Well i have some ideas to put 'meaning' behind my story, gunna be a bit complicated to put into practice tho :(
wish me luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)