I’ve heard that if a class has less than 8 people, rankings don’t matter. (1 Viewer)

katiekms

it’s like a big train wreck (la la la)
HSC
I keep hearing from my teachers that if a class has 7 or less people, then rankings don’t affect you. It seems like too specific a number to just mean a small class in general makes rankings not matter, but i’ve tried looking up information about it to no avail. is this true? and if this is true, why? and if its not true, why the hell do my teachers keep telling us this???

liamkk112

HSC
I keep hearing from my teachers that if a class has 7 or less people, then rankings don’t affect you. It seems like too specific a number to just mean a small class in general makes rankings not matter, but i’ve tried looking up information about it to no avail. is this true? and if this is true, why? and if its not true, why the hell do my teachers keep telling us this???
i mean theres no specific number, and tbh its very variable on the situation

- everyone does well: then yeah the ranking doesn't matter or has very minimal impact on your internal mark, this could occur at some like super small classes for some language subject or something

- most people do moderately well but the gaps between your marks are decently large and this is also true for the hsc exams: then your ranking could have some effect, you'd probably want to be at the top ranks if u want a good mark

- only 1-2 people in the class do well: then your ranking will have a big effect

so your ranking still does matter, just keep gunning for the top spot if u want the most security (i think its a good idea to put your score in your hands anyway, why let someone else's performance affect yours)

katiekms

HSC
i mean theres no specific number, and tbh its very variable on the situation

- everyone does well: then yeah the ranking doesn't matter or has very minimal impact on your internal mark, this could occur at some like super small classes for some language subject or something

- most people do moderately well but the gaps between your marks are decently large and this is also true for the hsc exams: then your ranking could have some effect, you'd probably want to be at the top ranks if u want a good mark

- only 1-2 people in the class do well: then your ranking will have a big effect

so your ranking still does matter, just keep gunning for the top spot if u want the most security (i think its a good idea to put your score in your hands anyway, why let someone else's performance affect yours)
yeah but like they tell me if there’s less than 8 people then you get your own mark anyway - they’re saying that with that number rankings literally have no effect. obviously i’m seeing now that it’s probably not true but why have they told us this???

scaryshark09

∞∆ who let 'em cook dis long ∆∞
HSC
yeah but like they tell me if there’s less than 8 people then you get your own mark anyway - they’re saying that with that number rankings literally have no effect. obviously i’m seeing now that it’s probably not true but why have they told us this???
yeah this is not true. rankings matter to at least a small extent for all situations except where there is 1 person in the class.

in fact, i'd argue rankings matter quite alot for small classes, since the moderated internals can be way more variable in smaller cohorts.

katiekms

HSC
yeah this is not true. rankings matter to at least a small extent for all situations except where there is 1 person in the class.

in fact, i'd argue rankings matter quite alot for small classes, since the moderated internals can be way more variable in smaller cohorts.
thanks for your help, that makes sense! i really wonder why they tell us this then

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)