• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

I do have the UAI Seeker03 but... (1 Viewer)

stellar

I still am curious what anyone would think my UAI would be?
I got to a school that should just make it into the top 110 this year.

English Standard: Position- 40/120 Assess. Mark- 32/55%
Mathematics: Position- 2/80 Assess. Mark- 60/65%
Mathematics Ext1: Position- 5/50 Assess. Mark- 30/45%
Business Studies: Position- 30/70 Assess. Mark- 45/70%
Physics: Position- 30/50 Assess. Mark- 26/45%
Geography: Position- 4/30 Assess. Mark- 45/65%

Thanks for any help.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Assuming you're not at a selective high school, I think you'd be closer to low 80s...

stellar

Thanks Cyph and Lazarus that was helpful. I guess I've got to accept I am performing at that level according to past assessments.

BTW, for Lazarus: can you please explain how I actually use the UAI Seeker? All I do is punch in numbers that I'm not even sure are accurate.

xGSiR

What the you came 2nd in 2unit maths and you got 65%
Woah one with 80% and over?

stellar

nah... 60/65% means my school has done 65% of our internal assessments, and I scored 60 out of that 65%.

Trials should be worth 35%.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
hey question about the uaiseeker... i have it but since then i have dropped a subject.. any way of getting rid of it as one of my subjects....

plus that thing cant be that accurate considering it doesnt ask you for your rank

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by stellar
BTW, for Lazarus: can you please explain how I actually use the UAI Seeker? All I do is punch in numbers that I'm not even sure are accurate.
I'll give you the response that I've been giving most people who have asked, and you can post any further (more specific) questions after that -

You need to first estimate from your school marks what your aligned HSC marks are likely to be according to the performance bands for each course; your teachers would probably be able to assist you with this.

Then, visit:
2002 - http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2002_12.htm
2001 - http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/ebos/static/BDHSC_2001_12.htm

These pages will tell you what percentage of students scored in each band for a particular course. Use these percentages, along with your estimated aligned HSC marks, to approximate your percentiles. A percentile of 80 means that your mark was equal to or better than 80% of the state (i.e. you were in the top 20%).

Alternatively, you could simply use the UAISeeker with any percentile values. Examine the results table, and observe the "aligned HSC mark" column, for this reveals the mark that is equivalent to the percentile you entered. Adjust the percentile for that subject up or down until the desired aligned mark is displayed in the results table. This needs to be done for each subject. Note that the corresponding percentiles will be different depending on which year you choose to use statistics from (the last option in the UAISeeker control panel). It might be an idea to write down or record the percentiles after figuring them out (for future use).

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
Originally posted by *~Dazed~*
plus that thing cant be that accurate considering it doesnt ask you for your rank
i've also wondered about this

and also the scaling differences between public schools (of varying quality), private schools, and selective schools

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Originally posted by *~Dazed~*
Erhm... you input percentiles into the UAISeeker... your percentile is your rank in the state... :)

Even if you were inputting HSC marks, your school rank would have already been taken into account. The HSC mark is the average of your exam mark and moderated assessment mark. Your rank was used in calculating the latter.

Originally posted by spin spin sugar
and also the scaling differences between public schools (of varying quality), private schools, and selective schools
All students in a particular course are scaled in the same way. The school you attend has no bearing on how your marks are scaled.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)