I don't know what I want to study (1 Viewer)

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Hi everyone! I'm currently in year 11 and I'm just really struggling to figure out what I actually want to do with my life, I have high academic goals, but with no idea of why I'm actually studying so hard, and I find it hard to maintain motivation sometimes because I have no goal in mind. For years I've wanted to work in medical (basic, I know), but I don't even know if I truly want to do it or if I've just convinced myself I want it because I want the money & prestige (or because I'm the token "smart-person" and everyone expects me to want to work in med 🥲). I don't know if I want to study for 10+ years and incur so much debt, and then be trapped working in hospitals for the rest of my life. The atar and ucat requirements are also extremely hefty (though I am applicable for rural entry). Recently I've been looking into engineering, but I'm still unsure about that too. Materials or software engineering have piqued my interest the most, and I like how they incorporate maths, science, and have a heavy emphasis on problem-solving, I also like how many engineering careers have the potential to work remotely. However, I hated physics in years 7-10 so that is kind of off-putting to me (I know many universities offer bridging courses). Does anyone have any advice, or alternative suggestions????? Currently I am studying 3U maths, 3U english, biology, chemistry, and business studies, and I plan on taking 4U maths for my HSC (dropping to 2U english and dropping business)

Last edited:

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
First, I would just like to note that you should pursue a career that you are genuinely interested in, regardless of the prestige that might be associated with it, because this is not a factor that can contribute to an informed decision. You should instead focus on the other aspects of a particular career path. For example, you expressed a valid concern in terms of the cost and time it takes to study medicine. Assuming that you succeed in receiving an offer to study medicine, you should consider whether you would be prepared to commit to a Doctor of Medicine despite its apparent difficulty/complexity.

From your post, it seems that you could be leaning towards studying engineering as opposed to medicine. The good thing about studying engineering is that, should you end up choosing it, you can enrol in a program that offers a flexible first year, allowing you to explore and consider the various engineering disciplines before selecting a major area of study. A Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) - Flexible First Year program is available at multiple institutions, including USyd, UNSW and UoW.

Alternatively, what are your thoughts on studying business/commerce beyond the HSC? Given that you are planning to drop Business Studies, it seems that you may not be interested in this option. However, your interest in maths would align closely with the more mathematical/numerical majors of a Bachelor of Business/Commerce, as well as similar degrees such as a Bachelor of Economics and a Bachelor of Actuarial Studies. Unless you just despise Business Studies, I would question the decision of dropping it before year 12, especially since the HSC course explores a number of business functions, giving you a general understanding of the business world across numerous areas.

I hope this helps! 😄

dsakvyilsa

HSC
First, I would just like to note that you should pursue a career that you are genuinely interested in, regardless of the prestige that might be associated with it, because this is not a factor that can contribute to an informed decision. You should instead focus on the other aspects of a particular career path. For example, you expressed a valid concern in terms of the cost and time it takes to study medicine. Assuming that you succeed in receiving an offer to study medicine, you should consider whether you would be prepared to commit to a Doctor of Medicine despite its apparent difficulty/complexity.

From your post, it seems that you could be leaning towards studying engineering as opposed to medicine. The good thing about studying engineering is that, should you end up choosing it, you can enrol in a program that offers a flexible first year, allowing you to explore and consider the various engineering disciplines before selecting a major area of study. A Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) - Flexible First Year program is available at multiple institutions, including USyd, UNSW and UoW.

Alternatively, what are your thoughts on studying business/commerce beyond the HSC? Given that you are planning to drop Business Studies, it seems that you may not be interested in this option. However, your interest in maths would align closely with the more mathematical/numerical majors of a Bachelor of Business/Commerce, as well as similar degrees such as a Bachelor of Economics and a Bachelor of Actuarial Studies. Unless you just despise Business Studies, I would question the decision of dropping it before year 12, especially since the HSC course explores a number of business functions, giving you a general understanding of the business world across numerous areas.

I hope this helps! 😄
hi! thanks Jimmy. My main issue with business studies is the cohort itself, the teacher is alright and the subject is also alright (I dont find it very enjoyable, but it's pretty straightforward), but my classmates are horrible. I got to a low-ranking, low-achieving rural public high school, and business studies (for some reason?) appeals to all the kids who are disruptive, loud, and just general nuisances. I cannot stand being in that class and I literally dread it. I have actually contemplated not dropping it, but I also feel it may be beneficial to ease off my workload a little. I would probably like to pursue a career with somewhat of a science focus, but I also would like to incorporate maths too.... All in all I'm just very conflicted 🥲

dsakvyilsa

HSC

I hope this helps! 😄
Oh another thing, I did see those flexible first year engineering degrees whilst I was researching, and I think it's definitely something I will highly consider. I would be very content with a 4-5 year degree, and I like how engineering does have that flexibility. My only concern would be my lack of physics knowledge, though I know many universities offer bridging courses, which would be great.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
hi! thanks Jimmy. My main issue with business studies is the cohort itself, the teacher is alright and the subject is also alright (I dont find it very enjoyable, but it's pretty straightforward), but my classmates are horrible. I got to a low-ranking, low-achieving rural public high school, and business studies (for some reason?) appeals to all the kids who are disruptive, loud, and just general nuisances. I cannot stand being in that class and I literally dread it. I have actually contemplated not dropping it, but I also feel it may be beneficial to ease off my workload a little. I would probably like to pursue a career with somewhat of a science focus, but I also would like to incorporate maths too.... All in all I'm just very conflicted 🥲
Oh another thing, I did see those flexible first year engineering degrees whilst I was researching, and I think it's definitely something I will highly consider. I would be very content with a 4-5 year degree, and I like how engineering does have that flexibility. My only concern would be my lack of physics knowledge, though I know many universities offer bridging courses, which would be great.
No worries. Fair point regarding Business Studies. While the fact that a cohort that is not academically capable would normally entice a student to keep the subject given the potential to be ranked first, a disruptive environment may hinder your learning and you would therefore be probably better off dropping it, which also reduces your workload as you mentioned.

The good thing about engineering is that it combines both scientific and mathematical knowledge, which is consistent with your interests. Thankfully, Physics will not be an obstacle in terms of entry in the case of universities such as UNSW since it is treated as assumed knowledge rather than a prerequisite, although a bridging course would definitely be useful in order to ensure a comfortable start to your university journey.

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Get the 99 atar so that you have the option to choose what you want to do. If you don't figure out what you like a gap year is always an option (job hunting, work experience etc).

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Hi everyone! I'm currently in year 11 and I'm just really struggling to figure out what I actually want to do with my life, I have high academic goals, but with no idea of why I'm actually studying so hard, and I find it hard to maintain motivation sometimes because I have no goal in mind. For years I've wanted to work in medical (basic, I know), but I don't even know if I truly want to do it or if I've just convinced myself I want it because I want the money & prestige (or because I'm the token "smart-person" and everyone expects me to want to work in med 🥲). I don't know if I want to study for 10+ years and incur so much debt, and then be trapped working in hospitals for the rest of my life. The atar and ucat requirements are also extremely hefty (though I am applicable for rural entry). Recently I've been looking into engineering, but I'm still unsure about that too. Materials or software engineering have piqued my interest the most, and I like how they incorporate maths, science, and have a heavy emphasis on problem-solving, I also like how many engineering careers have the potential to work remotely. However, I hated physics in years 7-10 so that is kind of off-putting to me (I know many universities offer bridging courses). Does anyone have any advice, or alternative suggestions????? Currently I am studying 3U maths, 3U english, biology, chemistry, and business studies, and I plan on taking 4U maths for my HSC (dropping to 2U english and dropping business)
You can always ask past students/current uni students what it's like working in those specific fields you mentioned (engineering/medicine etc) to get an idea of what it's like studying them. However take it with a grain of salt because often the job is way different to the actual uni course (which is what I feel with actuarial studies).

Also even if you spend a year doing a degree you hate you can always just change anyway, since wasting 1-2 years is nothing in the long term for your life.

Personally I also wanted to do medicine but didn't do good in UMAT so decided between actuarial studies/computer science/data science but picked actuarial because I liked maths and I thought it paid more money. However, found out that computer science pays wayyyyy way more (and faster) plus uni maths sucks compared to high school maths.

Basically even if you like stuff such as high school maths or high school physics, the uni course will probably be a bit different (I hated uni maths even tho I loved high school maths), and the job will probably be even more different. In my job I literally mostly use Excel and don't use much maths where in high school I was like "I like maths lemme pick actuarial studies".

dsakvyilsa

HSC
You can always ask past students/current uni students what it's like working in those specific fields you mentioned (engineering/medicine etc) to get an idea of what it's like studying them. However take it with a grain of salt because often the job is way different to the actual uni course (which is what I feel with actuarial studies).

Also even if you spend a year doing a degree you hate you can always just change anyway, since wasting 1-2 years is nothing in the long term for your life.

Personally I also wanted to do medicine but didn't do good in UMAT so decided between actuarial studies/computer science/data science but picked actuarial because I liked maths and I thought it paid more money. However, found out that computer science pays wayyyyy way more (and faster) plus uni maths sucks compared to high school maths.

Basically even if you like stuff such as high school maths or high school physics, the uni course will probably be a bit different (I hated uni maths even tho I loved high school maths), and the job will probably be even more different. In my job I literally mostly use Excel and don't use much maths where in high school I was like "I like maths lemme pick actuarial studies".
what's it like being an actuary.... do you enjoy it?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
what's it like being an actuary.... do you enjoy it?
I can't comment since working in general is not fun to me, I wouldn't find any job fun.

Also the people you work with also have a big impact on a job being fun or not.

NeoToad

HSC
Uni Grad
Engineering is one of those “safe” careers that most do fairly well if they have the talent for it. Is engineering a passion for you, or are you considering it because it might make you good money? I went into engineering because I was passionate about doing it. Check your heart. Study what you know and want to discover for yourself everyday. Or in another way. Are you ready to do this for free in your spare time? If yes, this is your niche :)
p.s. even if you change your mind, you will have skills that will be useful to you anyway.

dsakvyilsa

HSC
Engineering is one of those “safe” careers that most do fairly well if they have the talent for it. Is engineering a passion for you, or are you considering it because it might make you good money? I went into engineering because I was passionate about doing it. Check your heart. Study what you know and want to discover for yourself everyday. Or in another way. Are you ready to do this for free in your spare time? If yes, this is your niche :)
p.s. even if you change your mind, you will have skills that will be useful to you anyway.
It is something I have developed interested in as I have done more research and have started thinking more deeply about what I actually want to do with my life. I'm not interested in it for the money, more so the way it incorporates problem-solving, as well as the maths/science subjects I enjoy. I also like how engineering careers give you the possibility to work remotely or from home if need be, and how there is the possibility to perhaps even start your own business within the field.

NeoToad

HSC
Uni Grad
It is something I have developed interested in as I have done more research and have started thinking more deeply about what I actually want to do with my life. I'm not interested in it for the money, more so the way it incorporates problem-solving, as well as the maths/science subjects I enjoy. I also like how engineering careers give you the possibility to work remotely or from home if need be, and how there is the possibility to perhaps even start your own business within the field.
then try it and don't hesitate.
good luck🤞

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)