• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I feel defeated and pretty down (1 Viewer)

v.tex

HSC
Hey guys, tbh I have not been feeling great at the moment.
First of all In term 1, I studied my butt off but got crappy marks anyway and have now lost track on all my notes leading to me falling behind.
Second of all I really wanted to switch to Chemistry as it was one of my biggest regrets not doing it and my school didn't let me which has made me majorly depressed. The thing is i try to get the idea of me doing Chemistry out of my mind but I just keep thinking about it and what could of been if i did it. In fact I keep coming up with these dumb ideas how I am gonna study in the holidays for Chemistry and then do the test they are completing first week back and ace it lol- I legitimately keep considering this its annoying. I also am not enjoying Modern and am somewhat finding Earth boring even though it is pretty easy and i am getting good marks in it- should of done chem.
I have lately had little motivation to study and for some reason am thinking Im gonna get a rubbish ATAR at this point. I guess I am still doing well in most of my subjects but idk. but I feel like Im not even gonna get into what I want to do after school.

wildwestworm

HSC
I feel you😭 I got terrible marks for term 1 and 2 as well and I regret some of my subjects too. Btw why do you want to do chem? I’m doing chem right now and dying because of it, do you need it for your uni course? And if you do, you could always do a bridging course before uni starts?

You said you’re doing well, plus we still have trials and hsc exams. You can definitely get a good atar in that time. I think your judgment is being clouded by your regret. I know it’s definitely easier said than done, but you need to accept the subjects you’re doing since you can’t change them anymore. That’s what I did and it took months for me to stop feeling regret😔

It’s normal to not feel okay sometimes, but if you think you feel increasingly depressed you should definitely reach out to someone you know and get some support. Year 12 is hard, you are not alone and trust me this feeling will pass 😊

liamkk112

HSC
Hey guys, tbh I have not been feeling great at the moment.
First of all In term 1, I studied my butt off but got crappy marks anyway and have now lost track on all my notes leading to me falling behind.
Second of all I really wanted to switch to Chemistry as it was one of my biggest regrets not doing it and my school didn't let me which has made me majorly depressed. The thing is i try to get the idea of me doing Chemistry out of my mind but I just keep thinking about it and what could of been if i did it. In fact I keep coming up with these dumb ideas how I am gonna study in the holidays for Chemistry and then do the test they are completing first week back and ace it lol- I legitimately keep considering this its annoying. I also am not enjoying Modern and am somewhat finding Earth boring even though it is pretty easy and i am getting good marks in it- should of done chem.
I have lately had little motivation to study and for some reason am thinking Im gonna get a rubbish ATAR at this point. I guess I am still doing well in most of my subjects but idk. but I feel like Im not even gonna get into what I want to do after school.
you’re in year 11 right? assuming you are:

i was in pretty much the same boat as u in year 11, i pretty much spent all my time studying but got all C’s basically, barely passed physics and chem and did alright in math english bio but nothing that i thought was equal to my time spent. what you have to remember is that in year 11, you have new expectations for your work, you probably don’t really know how to study effectively even if u know how, maybe you are catching up on content u missed before year 11 and are thus behind what is expected (that was me due to moving states and covid) etc. year 11 is only really a “trial” year for this reason - it pretty much exists to warm you up for hsc, to make sure u know how to study and what’s expected for u in assessments, give u some preliminary knowledge that allows u to complete year 12 and so on. point is that you’re kinda meant to fail in year 11… of course there are those smart people that always do really well but that’s not everyone and it certainly wasn’t me. what year 11 was for me though was a lot of failure to inform the hsc year, i got to realise that i should probably drop to standard english, that i should drop chem and bio and take up 4u because of my abysmal marks and lack of motivation in those subjects, how to actually delegate my time and study effectively, how my new school operated assessments etc. by the end of year 11 i felt much more prepared for hsc year because i knew where i made mistakes, and i knew what my weaknesses were and how to tackle them. all of this is to say don’t be demoralised by year 11, it can meant to be a smack in the face to wake you up and realise you need to do more to succeed. ultimately year 11 basically doesn’t even count for your atar anyway, the only exception to that is if you want to take up further extension subjects and your school makes u have minimum marks. so essentially just use your failure to inform the future, you know you’re behind on your notes so the only thing to do is to catch up, however much effort that might take right? pick apart your bad marks and try not to be ignorant (not in an offensive way lol), chances are your teachers are right OR they mark in a dumb way in which case you just need to adapt to their line of thinking (although i luckily never encountered this). so take on feedback and keep pushing, do your best to figure out the best solution to your problems so you have the best chance in hsc year… and don’t give up yet because these marks don’t even determine your atar.

also if you can tell your parents about asking to move you into chem usually the school will budge, if you’re still adamant about switching (and it could be worth it, although remember u get to drop a subject in hsc if u want to anyway)

wildwestworm

HSC
you’re in year 11 right? assuming you are:

i was in pretty much the same boat as u in year 11, i pretty much spent all my time studying but got all C’s basically, barely passed physics and chem and did alright in math english bio but nothing that i thought was equal to my time spent. what you have to remember is that in year 11, you have new expectations for your work, you probably don’t really know how to study effectively even if u know how, maybe you are catching up on content u missed before year 11 and are thus behind what is expected (that was me due to moving states and covid) etc. year 11 is only really a “trial” year for this reason - it pretty much exists to warm you up for hsc, to make sure u know how to study and what’s expected for u in assessments, give u some preliminary knowledge that allows u to complete year 12 and so on. point is that you’re kinda meant to fail in year 11… of course there are those smart people that always do really well but that’s not everyone and it certainly wasn’t me. what year 11 was for me though was a lot of failure to inform the hsc year, i got to realise that i should probably drop to standard english, that i should drop chem and bio and take up 4u because of my abysmal marks and lack of motivation in those subjects, how to actually delegate my time and study effectively, how my new school operated assessments etc. by the end of year 11 i felt much more prepared for hsc year because i knew where i made mistakes, and i knew what my weaknesses were and how to tackle them. all of this is to say don’t be demoralised by year 11, it can meant to be a smack in the face to wake you up and realise you need to do more to succeed. ultimately year 11 basically doesn’t even count for your atar anyway, the only exception to that is if you want to take up further extension subjects and your school makes u have minimum marks. so essentially just use your failure to inform the future, you know you’re behind on your notes so the only thing to do is to catch up, however much effort that might take right? pick apart your bad marks and try not to be ignorant (not in an offensive way lol), chances are your teachers are right OR they mark in a dumb way in which case you just need to adapt to their line of thinking (although i luckily never encountered this). so take on feedback and keep pushing, do your best to figure out the best solution to your problems so you have the best chance in hsc year… and don’t give up yet because these marks don’t even determine your atar.

also if you can tell your parents about asking to move you into chem usually the school will budge, if you’re still adamant about switching (and it could be worth it, although remember u get to drop a subject in hsc if u want to anyway)
Oh what they're in year 11😭 well then they really shouldn't worry they still have time

HSC
u have the energy and motivation to achieve any atar v.tex, don't doubt urself :hammer: it's messed up that we can't change our subjects after ACTUALLY doing them, but look at the bright side: the classes r easy and ur getting good marks! we only have another year with these subjects, then we are free to study our passions

v.tex

HSC
I feel you😭 I got terrible marks for term 1 and 2 as well and I regret some of my subjects too. Btw why do you want to do chem? I’m doing chem right now and dying because of it, do you need it for your uni course? And if you do, you could always do a bridging course before uni starts?

You said you’re doing well, plus we still have trials and hsc exams. You can definitely get a good atar in that time. I think your judgment is being clouded by your regret. I know it’s definitely easier said than done, but you need to accept the subjects you’re doing since you can’t change them anymore. That’s what I did and it took months for me to stop feeling regret😔

It’s normal to not feel okay sometimes, but if you think you feel increasingly depressed you should definitely reach out to someone you know and get some support. Year 12 is hard, you are not alone and trust me this feeling will pass 😊
most of the courses i’ve been considering have chem as assumed knowledge- I know, i’ll just do a bridging course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)