• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

I got a Job interview any tips?? (1 Viewer)

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
got an job interview for market research telemarketing so what am i expecting.

Just these few questions i get stuck on can u guys give me an answer.

What appeals to you with this position?
Are u customer service aware?
What makes u self motivated?

Last edited:

pete_mate

HSC
can you speak properly?

with this kindof job they'll probly hire you no matter what

this is ringing up people form a call centre right?

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
ok personally what would u answer?

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
th said:
ok personally what would u answer?
i think they are for you to answer. What is the pay like? Or is it only if you meet certain targets.......

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
The most scientifically valid questions are ones like "what would you do if a customer rang up and abused you?", or "how have you acted in a stressful situation in the past?" -- ones which ask how you think you would respond, or giving examples of how you have acted in the past. They're 'valid', meaning the're pretty good at predicting how you'd actually fare. They're hard, too, because it's difficult to think on the spot of a socially desirable answer that isn't what you'd naturally do...

However, I doubt that a telemarketer is aware or will use that too much, and so the interview will probably be unstructured and more a test to make sure you can turn up on time and string together a coherent sentence. As with any from of negotiation (which is what a job interview is in a way), as soon as you feel you can't walk away from it, you're screwed -- so go in there with an attitude that if you don't get it, there are a hundred other jobs you'll be able to take up, which'll be advertised in the next week or two. Confidence is key. Good firm handshake, look them in the eye, introduce yourself, have a few questions ready for the end

-- DO NOT ASK ABOUT THE PAY, unless they bring it up.. not at this level of interview, anyway. In the end you'll be getting award wages: if you're really curious, just look up the award rate on the Industrial Relations' website. (OR click here)

Last edited:

sikeveo

back after sem2
HSC
Well they may not. The job i went for today pays $18.71/hour and its not telemarketing. You get free coke products aswell. Im 17, so i seriously doubt that is award. Btw skittled, they asked me those questions today for my call centre interveiw :p

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Just say when you get in:

"Hello Mr./Ms. [Generic Name], my name is 'th' and I am calling you from telstra, how are you today? Do you like to save money, sir. Ok, thank you." **Must be done in Indian accent**

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
sikeveo said:
Well they may not. The job i went for today pays $18.71/hour and its not telemarketing. You get free coke products aswell. Im 17, so i seriously doubt that is award. Btw skittled, they asked me those questions today for my call centre interveiw :p
Fair enough -- well done; seems rare for anyone our age to be paid over award wages. You're getting about $3 an hour more than me, and I'm 19 (in Retail, hopefully for abotu 2 more weeks)!

Edit: Forgot to say; Congrats on getting the job, btw ;)

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
My Dad said call centres pay well but then you have to put up with abusive customers and sometimes 'unrealistic' targets.

I think this is a bit late but in response to topic; for a call centre interview I'd also expect 'situation' or 'scenario' based questions- ie. if this happens, how would you react? That and like aforementioned in this topic, you'd have to be able to speak clearly and be easily understood-

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
seremify007 said:
...for a call centre interview I'd also expect 'situation' or 'scenario' based questions- ie. if this happens, how would you react?
...noone reads past posts in this world do they? (neither do I, admittedly) ;)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Depends if it's a social topic or someone asking for feedback/suggestions.

Sorry abt that- *realised you posted a much longer version*

EDIT: Also forgot to say- Congrats on getting the job =]

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
sikeveo said:
Is that job u got by any chance from St leonards because the pay rate is the same, Thanks for the replies i guess it is with personal experiences but yet again ive never worked or ever called anyone as customer service rep, im usually the receiving end, the one that hangs up lol.

when i phoned the recuirement manager first time he pretty much outline the job duty statement, my awards, working hrs, So i think the face to face interview would be pretty much be how i act in workin evironment when dealing with customers. Im so nervous since ive had no experience and will talkin out of my arse.

What did u wear in the interview sikeveo Im wearing a blue t shirt with black pants, do these jobs require u a suit cause i dont hv one >?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I have no experience in the industry but I fail to see why telemarketing requires you to wear a suit... if you get a chance, why don't you go spy on them before your interview and see what they wear? You don't need a full on suit- just smart looking clothes I suppose- the kind of thing you'd wear to a formal/wedding.

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
Yeh i went to the interview to find out it was jst another relapse of what they said on phone told me to fill out a questionareapplication form and theyd call me to book the training... i dunno if i actually got the job though because he didnt tell me to describe any thing bout me only write it all down. So i guess they are really disberate in founding people :rolleyes:

Abtari

HSC
telemarketing sucks... i wouldnt work for even 20 bux an hour, only to be abused 3 times out of 5 by old hags or cranky parents with babies screeching in the background...

job from hell... like standing inside shopping centres advertising a uesless product like reusable toilet paper or samples of cookies that noone wants...

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
hope to stay alive there till uni starts than diss it

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha good luck with that- my Dad said it requires a tough skin to work in telemarketing because of all the abuse...

Edit: Btw do you get paid commission if you sell something?

th

No.1 Asset
HSC
no its market research so there are no selling involve yeh i know what ur dad saying about the goals that u have to meet but it seems this jobs usually only requires 3 surveys a shift and its not comission based. But it will only be for the summer holidays.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Abtari said:
job from hell... like standing inside shopping centres advertising a uesless product like reusable toilet paper or samples of cookies that noone wants...
I don't mind free food samples =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)