• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

I hate names (short story related) (1 Viewer)

J

jhakka

Am I the only one who can't do character or place names? At the moment I'm just writing -->village name here<-- or whatever is relevant. That's all well and good, but it makes things a lot easier to plan if I have character and place names that can be associated with... stuff.

It's so not cool.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
hehe thats why i called my main character bob :D

Saul

*ss
HSC
in mine i just avoided using names altogether

Thomas_wow

my names are:

Rick O'Shea (riquochet)
Killer Kawalski (variation of my name)
Mullet Boy 2000
Magnus Magnusson
Samuel Samuelson
John Smith

make em really stupid, it makes story more interesting @_@_@

J

jhakka

New strategy. I'm just going to use reference names for my drafts and change them for my final product. The king's temporary name is now Miggles.

:: dreami ::

Diamond BOS'er
HSC
i read sumwhere that you try to use one word to define that person's character and then use words that are symbolic of that trait.

for example, if a man is malicious and cruel, we think of villain, then vary the sounding to make it into a name, like WILL LAIN.

otherwise, as i have done, i've written gone onto baby name websites and typed in a specific meaning - for example - intelligent and they will give you a list of names that have that meaning!

hope i've been usefull :)

Menendez

In my short story there is two different threads and one is in Ancient Rome, so I made all the modern characters have anglicised Roman names (eg. Antoni Licini, Marc Paterni etc.) or....which sometimes helps...go onto www.kabalarians.com find lists of names, close your eyes, and point! ;)

vicburke

Capt. Schneider Bandwagon
HSC
I used names in a different lanaguage that linked to my stories. My names are in Gaelic, Galieage and this Scottish Celtic dialect...Interesting....
NAMES ARE THE BEST BIT - Creating characters is half the fun...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)