I Need Help With Subject Selection (1 Viewer)

rated

HSC
I need help in knowing what I should do!!!

I am currently doing 12 units:
Chemistry
English Standard
Economics
Mathematics
Mathematics Extension 1
Physics
Studies of Religion 1

Okay I really wanted to drop Physics and pick up Snr Science, however Snr Science is not running on my Physics line. So I have a choice to keep or drop Physics and have 10 units. I am unsure whether this will affect me in the long run, because I also want to drop Studies of Religion.
I am doing well in all subjects but Studies of Religion and Physics which I 'failed' in preliminary. I know this cannot be a reflection of Year 12 but I think since Year 12 becomes a lot more harder, and preliminary work becomes assumed knowledge, I am not sure if I can improve greatly especially in Physics.
Should I drop Physics, Studies of Religion or keep them both (and have 12 units)?
Or should I drop SOR1 and have 11 units?

Any response will be appreciated :)
Thank you

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
always keep 12 units through hsc so that one 2unit course acts as a safety net if you were to go terribly wrong in one exam, i suggest for you to drop SORII and keep physics because it is higher scaling and attempting it in the hsc course as a 12th unit will not jeopardise your atar.

rated

HSC
always keep 12 units through hsc so that one 2unit course acts as a safety net if you were to go terribly wrong in one exam, i suggest for you to drop SORII and keep physics because it is higher scaling and attempting it in the hsc course as a 12th unit will not jeopardise your atar.
Okay thank you for your reply.
Yes if I can do well in Physics > SOR1 then doing the SOR1 course would have just been a waste of time right?
I am still thinking about it though, my first Physics assessment is 4 weeks away and we just started the course :(

turnthepageoftime

HSC
Is there any way that you could change another class to take up senior science? It seems like that's what you'd like to do, but if not, I think you should wait a few weeks before dropping completely.

Remember that Phys is a course that builds on the prelim a lot, so if you really don't get that, then you should probs drop, as it (not getting it) will really lower morale and take time away from other subjects.

bangladesh

HSC
pick of 4u maths. drop phys. Drop studies of religion. You should be fine.

jadiskris

HSC
I reckon it's best to Drop Religion and keep Physics.
Simply because physics has such a high scaling that you can afford to not be at the top and have it still benefit your ATAR.

Although having a back up with 12 units is a good idea it's not the best for everyone. 10 units is absolutely fine if you enjoy and do well at them. In fact I reckon it's the best because it takes off so many pressure off you and that's a whole less subject to worry about. It's just that some people prefer to have something to fall back on or they have very limited subject preferences/concentration.

At the end of day, these are all just words of advice. No one here knows you better than yourself and what you are good at or will do well at. Trust your gut instinct.

jadiskris

HSC
In most cases, for Religion you pretty much have to be at the top for the subject to be worthwhile whereas for Physics your marks can be lower and it still won't drag you down, definitely not as much as Religion anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

HSC
11 units is a lot more safer than 10 units if you drop physics. However I would suggest NOT dropping either after your 1st assessment task and see how you go.

Cleavage

Clarence
HSC
Uni Grad
See if you can pick up 4U? If not, stick with the twelve units anyways. I dropped Physics last week because i was on 14U. Imo 12 units is a safe number of units to be on.

deloving

HSC
In most cases, for Religion you pretty much have to be at the top for the subject to be worthwhile whereas for Physics your marks can be lower and it still won't drag you down, definitely not as much as Religion anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
You can't just rely on scaling. If he's 'failing' the subject then scaling may screw him over even more. Scaling rewards you for doing well, high scaling subjects don't just give you good marks or guarantee you anything.

Depends on how much he's 'failing', ranking and assessment % and what not.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Decide which subject you hate the most first, because if you don't like something, you'll be less inclined to work harder for it.

Are you able to swap any classes to do senior science? Because then you can just switch to that and drop SOR and go ahead with 11 units.

Also, HSC Physics is significantly more intensive that year 11 (I'm not 100% sure if all of prelim is necessary, I'm pretty sure the world communicates and the cosmic engine are redundant, but correct me if I'm wrong). I think you should look at the Physics and SOR syllabi to see if you're able to "handle" the content before making an informed choice.

Good luck :)

jadiskris

HSC
You can't just rely on scaling. If he's 'failing' the subject then scaling may screw him over even more. Scaling rewards you for doing well, high scaling subjects don't just give you good marks or guarantee you anything.

Depends on how much he's 'failing', ranking and assessment % and what not.
My apologies! I just read his topic again and he says he "failed" year 11 physics.
In that case I agree with everything you said.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)