I Need Opinions On Male Stereotypes In Anime ! (1 Viewer)

marvs000

HSC
Could someone please tell me any current views or issues that affect stereotypes in Anime? ... I just need opinions based on this issue .. change and continuity of male stereotypes expressed through Anime ..

pirotess4

HSC
N/A
marvs000 said:
Could someone please tell me any current views or issues that affect stereotypes in Anime? ... I just need opinions based on this issue .. change and continuity of male stereotypes expressed through Anime ..
In Anime I've always noticed that there's always a good male and a bad male, the good males usually have a bad past and are out to "save the world" and to save others but recently they have changed to having bad pasts and set a quest to get revenge on whoever did them (or their parents wrong) - kind of like the whole batman theme in anime!! Think Tuxedo mask in Sailormoon - he had a past where his parents died and then he decided that he was going to become a warrior without knowing that he had a past life as the Prince of the Earth who fought for love on the Moon Kingdom.

The bad males in the past were seen as disgusting a grotesque but they evolved to become more appealing to the audience, sure they were evil and sadistic but they were usually potrayed as having that "soft side" if you will that only "love" could get through to - but that required a female (usually a goodie) to unlock that soft side. Others were just so hell bent on revenge that no-one could get through to them but again they were appealing to the audience because we could empathise with them because of their past.

I think it's got to do with society teaching children (which is the majority of anime viewers) to be more empathetic towards those who are "evil" or "bad" because of their past. To not just judge someone by the way they seem on the outside but to be able to look past that rough exterior and try and understand why that person is the way they are.......

I don't know if this has helped you or not but i will get my brother to add an entry - he studies anime at uni as a hobby sort of thing so he'll probably know a thing or two

Good luck!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)